[SOLVED] RTX 2060 vs GTX 1660 Ti

Feb 24, 2019
After the release of the GTX 1660 Ti, is the RTX 2060 still the better choice? I'm using it for mostly gaming and have a plan to do YouTube videos for fun. I'm mostly going to play AAA games in 1440p resolution.

I'm feeling like buying the RTX 2060, but is $100 more worth the performance? Is RTX 2060 more future proofing?

Solution
Given the price differences I'm seeing there, I'd opt for the cheapest 1660TI - in this instance a Ventus in the ~$307 USD range.

Don't get too hung up on "future proof". Especially with RayTracing, I fully expect we're another generational release (or two) away from RayTracing being well adopted.
Feb 24, 2019
Oh, well then yeah Ryzen 5 2600 is fine. The price the 1660 Ti is at is actually pretty good. But if you think you might want ray-tracing support then go with the RTX 2060.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Ray tracing is probably broken now, but who knows it may be one of the best gaming features in the future. I'm interested in DLSS and RT, but is it really worth waiting for fix?
Depends on the pricepoint you see them at.
The MSRP 1660TI cards are a great value for what they are - but by the time you look at cards in the upper-end, Strix etc.... you're already at 2060 money.
I see, the cheapest GTX 1660 Ti in my country is the MSI Ventus one which probably cost about $356 (taxes and something like that). And the RTX 2060 I'm aiming for is the Zotac AMP! which cost about $442 (also taxes and something like that).

the msi ventus is fine for a 1660ti. it is similar to an "armor" card, not the best cooling, but not bad. fortunately the 1660ti is pretty power efficient. your ryzen 2600 is fine. if you choose either 1660ti or 2060 just dont get hung up on all the different models unless aesthetics are important for you. just get whatever model is cheapest. they are all generally reliable and cooling isn't much of an issue unless you have bad a bad airflow case or significant overclocking. $356 to $442 is a significant jump, about 25%. the 1660ti is not 25% slower though, it is closer to 15% slower and roughly equivalent to a 1070. at 1440@60hz the 1660ti does average above 60fps in most popular games, though over time that number may trend down as games get more complex. i would vote for the 1660ti since it will likely give you great performance, it costs less, and it will retain a good used price down the road. of course, if you really can afford it, and want a bit more performance, the 2060 is a great card too and may last you a bit longer down the road and may prevent you from feeling the need to upgrade sooner than you would have.

Feb 24, 2019
Where are you located exactly?

The Ventus vs Amp! are different 'tiers' of cards, even before considering 1660TI vs 2060. Amp! is certainly a higher-end card than a Ventus, which is typically an entry level model.
I'm from Indonesia

Ahh I see, so the AMP! is better than Ventus even on the RTX 2060? Because the Ventus is actually about $2 more expensive than the AMP! one.
the msi ventus is fine for a 1660ti. it is similar to an "armor" card, not the best cooling, but not bad. fortunately the 1660ti is pretty power efficient. your ryzen 2600 is fine. if you choose either 1660ti or 2060 just dont get hung up on all the different models unless aesthetics are important for you. just get whatever model is cheapest. they are all generally reliable and cooling isn't much of an issue unless you have bad a bad airflow case or significant overclocking. $356 to $442 is a significant jump, about 25%. the 1660ti is not 25% slower though, it is closer to 15% slower and roughly equivalent to a 1070. at 1440@60hz the 1660ti does average above 60fps in most popular games, though over time that number may trend down as games get more complex. i would vote for the 1660ti since it will likely give you great performance, it costs less, and it will retain a good used price down the road. of course, if you really can afford it, and want a bit more performance, the 2060 is a great card too and may last you a bit longer down the road and may prevent you from feeling the need to upgrade sooner than you would have.
Thank you for the detailed information

Yeah the 25% price jump is kinda... overwhelming, for 15% more performance. But is the 15% more performance better for the future? Because I also considered a RTX 2070 for future proof, but seeing that the performance is not that fast compared to the price, I turned it down.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm from Indonesia

Ahh I see, so the AMP! is better than Ventus even on the RTX 2060? Because the Ventus is actually about $2 more expensive than the AMP! one.

Yeah, the Ventus is an entry-level design, so should be MSRP or there abouts. ~$279 + conversion + local factors.
The Amp! is Zotac's mid-level cooler etc, so commands a bit more than MSRP

A comparable would be a 2060 in either Ventus, or XC Gaming (single fan) as far as where they stack up in the product line.

Yeah the 25% price jump is kinda... overwhelming, for 15% more performance. But is the 15% more performance better for the future? Because I also considered a RTX 2070 for future proof, but seeing that the performance is not that fast compared to the price, I turned it down.

It might be a matter of shopping around, a quick Google search takes me to Mangga Dua Mall in Jakarta.
http://www.rakitan.com/kategori.php?id=27
4.299.000 Rupiah / roughly $307 USD for the cheapest 1660TI - The Ventus.
5.985.000 / roughly $428 for a Galax dual fan 2060.

Doesn't make a 2060 any more affordable, but it does sound like there's some lower prices available on 1660TIs if you can shop around.

Feb 24, 2019
Yeah, the Ventus is an entry-level design, so should be MSRP or there abouts. ~$279 + conversion + local factors.
The Amp! is Zotac's mid-level cooler etc, so commands a bit more than MSRP

A comparable would be a 2060 in either Ventus, or XC Gaming (single fan) as far as where they stack up in the product line.

It might be a matter of shopping around, a quick Google search takes me to Mangga Dua Mall in Jakarta.
http://www.rakitan.com/kategori.php?id=27
4.299.000 Rupiah / roughly $307 USD for the cheapest 1660TI - The Ventus.
5.985.000 / roughly $428 for a Galax dual fan 2060.

Doesn't make a 2060 any more affordable, but it does sound like there's some lower prices available on 1660TIs if you can shop around.
So, what do you suggest? Should I take the GTX 1660 Ti or the RTX 2060? Why and what brand? Because I keep going in the same circle convincing myself about the RTX 2060 being more future proof because of the ray tracing capabilities. But I also keep considering the GTX 1660 Ti since it's a lot cheaper, only has 15% lower performance in general but may go down in the future.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Given the price differences I'm seeing there, I'd opt for the cheapest 1660TI - in this instance a Ventus in the ~$307 USD range.

Don't get too hung up on "future proof". Especially with RayTracing, I fully expect we're another generational release (or two) away from RayTracing being well adopted.

Solution
Feb 24, 2019

I see..
So it settled, I take the GTX 1660 Ti.

Thank you so much for helping me choose, now I can spend my budget to something else.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

TRENDING THREADS