Question RTX 2060 with 550w PSU

Feb 17, 2023
I'm planning to just change my GPU on my actual rig, my actual rig is:
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1060 3GB (Planning to upgrade to RTX 2060)
RAM: 2x8GB Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MHZ
SSD: ADATA 128 GB
HDD: WD 1 TB 7200 RPM
PSU: EVGA 550W (non 80+, non modular) (my PSU is 5 years old)
CASE FANS: 3x 120 MM Thermaltake
Accesories: 1x Jack 3.5mm Headset, 1x keyboard, 1x mouse, 1x TP LINK WLAN CARD

PC part picker with all my specs link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87FNbK
Some pages say it would have an estimated wattage of 390W (with the rtx 2060), should i rely on my 550w 5 year old PSU? im pretty worried

sorry if i have a bad english

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you have a 550W or a 500W? You don't list a model for the 550W and the link goes to the N1 500W.

The N1 500W is arguably the worst PSU ever released by EVGA. Very cheap parts, very old design. Any GPU that requires supplementary power should never ever be connected to this PSU, if that is your PSU. The only thing that PSU should be touching is the conveyer belt at a recycling center.

The PSU is so bad that if you sell your GTX 1060, if you have proper ethics, you need to disclose in any advertisement that it was connected to this PSU. Any buyer deserves to know that this GPU has been powered by a junk PSU.

Reactions: Nemesia
Feb 17, 2023
Do you have a 550W or a 500W? You don't list a model for the 550W and the link goes to the N1 500W.

The N1 500W is arguably the worst PSU ever released by EVGA. Very cheap parts, very old design. Any GPU that requires supplementary power should never ever be connected to this PSU, if that is your PSU. The only thing that PSU should be touching is the conveyer belt at a recycling center.

The PSU is so bad that if you sell your GTX 1060, if you have proper ethics, you need to disclose in any advertisement that it was connected to this PSU. Any buyer deserves to know that this GPU has been powered by a junk PSU.
EVGA - Products - EVGA 550 N1, 550W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0550-L1 - 100-N1-0550-L1 this one

From the top 4 PSU Tier list. The N1 is in this. That PSU is really bad.

Tier F - Replace immediately

Tier E - Potencially dangerous in mutiple scenarios

Tier 7 - Worst

Tier F - Avoid these power supplies at all costs

Feb 17, 2023
From the top 4 PSU Tier list. The N1 is in this. That PSU is really bad.

Tier F - Replace immediately

Tier E - Potencially dangerous in mutiple scenarios

Tier 7 - Worst

Tier F - Avoid these power supplies at all costs
What do u think about redragon’s psu?

Feb 17, 2023
Definitely no.

You need a Tier A or Tier B PSU with a GPU like this. If you're only willing to buy very cheaply made PSUs, you should simply bin the idea of a GPU upgrade and stick with what you have. Junky PSUs are the absolute worst place to find savings in a PC.
All EVGA’s PSU are trash? Might consider a corsair, thermaltake or gigabyte psu

DSzymborski

Titan
All EVGA’s PSU are trash? Might consider a corsair, thermaltake or gigabyte psu

No, but you have by far the worst one. In fact, there are a lot more good EVGA PSUs than Thermaltakes or Gigabytes. The N1 is basically EVGA contacting their worst OEM -- hec -- and asking them for the cheapest crap they can stuff in a box.

Again, the linked tier lists above outline appropriate PSUs.

Feb 17, 2023
No, but you have by far the worst one. In fact, there are a lot more good EVGA PSUs than Thermaltakes or Gigabytes. The N1 is basically EVGA contacting their worst OEM -- hec -- and asking them for the cheapest crap they can stuff in a box.

Again, the linked tier lists above outline appropriate PSUs.
Ok, so no more EVGA “N1” series, what about k1? BQ?

Feb 17, 2023
That doesn't necessarily mean a good PSU. That's why you've got a problem in the first place.
Been using that evga n1 psu for over 5 years, never gave me a problem (yet), it isn’t noisy, i guess the funniest thing about it is that it is covered in dust, i don’t know how it managed to stay alive

DSzymborski

Titan
Been using that evga n1 psu for over 5 years, never gave me a problem (yet), it isn’t noisy, i guess the funniest thing about it is that it is covered in dust, i don’t know how it managed to stay alive

It may have already shortened the life of your components from what their lifespan would otherwise have been. It's like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every day; just because you haven't dropped dead doesn't mean everything's fine.

Reactions: Tac 25

TRENDING THREADS