RTX 2060 with stock i5 2500K

so how much of bottleneck i can expect? i tried looking around but i can't find the answers. even if there is some you tube videos out there most often they use 2500K that at least overclocked to 4.5Ghz. i want to know how much it will fare on stock clock instead.

used to get this baby up to 4.5Ghz...but i'm start having issues lately stability wise so i run everything at stock right now. been using this machine since 2012. i tried to pin point the problem but it seems mobo and RAM might have issues. at this point there is no way i'm going to invest more in this platform. more than anything i'm just curious how much bottleneck it will have. time to get new build actually. maybe just build something cheap with i3 8100? or maybe Ryzen 2600 but it is hard to get AMD based stuff around my local shop so my option is limited and that can impact the cost.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Honestly it depends what resolution/HZ your gaming at. I am running a sandy bridge e i7 3930K with 2 GTX 1080s...but i game at 4K60HZ. I hit a GPU long bottleneck before I hit a CPU bottleneck (though I am at 4.2ghz). If your gaming at high frame rates (90+hz) then yeah you'll have a bottleneck. If you gaming in the sub 90hz range and crank up gpu settings so you CPU is not the bottleneck you should be fine, even at stock.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I'd wait for Ryzen 3000...and just get the GPU now. You could also back off the Oc to 4-4.2ghz range as i find it far more stable (my machine is 4.6ghz capable but never need to push it that hard) and that should give you enough boost in frame rate to hold you over til next gen.

yeah i was thinking of waiting for Ryzen 3000 as well. things might get much better value wise as well at the time although anything can happen when it comes to pricing haha. i will see if i can try pushing the clock up to 4ghz mark....but honestly i'm too lazy to do fine tuning :p . real life responsibility do have it's effect with this hobby of mine haha.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

In well threaded games I agree..the OP is hurting. In lightly threaded games not so much. Ole' Sandy-bridge still has some muscle left for gaming but the day of 4C/4T cpus being ideal is come to an end. Even 8/9th gen users with 6C/6T are complaining of bottlenecking in well threaded games. I answer at least two posts a week about CPUs like that.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

It does, but it has a lot more muscle when overclocked. The base a turbo clocks on sandy were quite low compared to the achievable overclocks (some managed 5.0ghz on sandy).

Was reading some things like this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/a4n5qa/looking_to_upgrade_gpu_to_a_gtx_1070_ti/#ampf=undefined

Maybe if your board accepted it, go for a 3770k. I am not an Intel guy, but I think they are the same socket? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But depending on what resolution you play at, you might not see much. I'm speculating of course. But a lot of the things online seem to say you might have a slight bottleneck with a 1070ti for example, which is what the 2060 gets compared to. However, some guys said it works ok even with a 1080. So it sounds like if you went i7 it might do ok, especially if you are higher resolution.

3770K is ivy bridge so it has the same socket as sandy. the Z77 chipset that i'm using right now actually comes out as an update to the 6 series chipset to support ivy. i originally got my 2500K around a week before the official launch of ivy. but i never regret that decision. especially when knowing starting with ivy intel starts using TIM instead of solder for their CPU. i'm not the type that will OC my CPU from the get go but when it's time more CPU speed are needed then i will definitely do it. but as i said before i'm not going to invest more on this platform. to be honest i want 6 core CPU for the next upgrade but will still going to accept something like i3 8100 if i can't avoid it. also i will not going to play higher than 1080p. even if my monitor end up being kaput i will probably aim for 1080p 144hz instead of going for higher res.

As far as the i3, I get what you're saying. I would go ryzen before the i3 8100 for sure. The rumors about Zen 2 coming out this year look great. And it looks like some games are finally starting to take advantage of multiple cores. So if you went i3, I would only do that as a temporary upgrade. But for something more permanent, I'd probably suggest no less than the i5 CPUs, maybe an 8400 for example.

right now i'm just using some cheap coolers. but i do have cooler master air 240 and my older corsair H80. though i might go for all air cooler for my next setup for simplicity.

as i said i would prefer to get 6 core. but if something bad happen right now i'm not going to dismiss i3 8100. the i5 8400 is quite capable. stock vs stock it's gaming performance is almost as fast as 8600K (maybe due to little difference in stock boost clock which is 4.0ghz vs 4.3ghz). but from what i can see while games can scale more with cores right now the IPC advantage still have clear win over core count. though having more cores probably will lessen the stutter issue due to many games can easily saturate all four cores right now.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

If you have some decent coolers why not overclock?

as is said above; stability issues that probably stemming from my mobo or RAM that starts going bad. there are times my USB port suddenly stop working or the board cannot detect my HDD drive (even when the port being enabled and HDD is powered). so i thought the board probably starts having issues with overclock as well when i'm start having system freeze from time to time. then i tried to move my system to my older motherboard (i got this gigabyte board just for the sake of SLI compatibility back in 2013). but that asus board cannot work with my RAM where it works just fine before (the DRAM light on the mobo keep flashing and i can't even get into BIOS, at best i was entering endless restart loop). because of this i think my RAM probably having issues as well though it still able to work with my gigabyte board. well i've already decided to make new build and start to save money for it. at this point i just need this old system to just work.

haha i'm too lazy to do any fine tune :p one of these days i just want something that work with little tweak or just "plug and play". though i'm still not on the level where i want console level of plug, play and forget. that's why i was thinking of the non K processor for my next build this time around. the me 5 or 6 years ago overclocking is a must feature to have even if i will not going to do it from the get go. but realistically if budget is not the limiting factor i will still going to pick K series CPU.

beardrinksbeer

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

That is why I ditched my 2500K for a 3750K, I sold that & have a 5820K @ 4.4; I still have the 2500K in my spare comp, I am not getting rid of that 2500K