Question RTX 2060S insane buzzing/crackling coil whine

Oct 30, 2022
Hello,

So after a long while I have decided to finally open my case and clean the PC and what I noticed with the open case was this insane coil whine I've been getting (video below), which is extremely loud (but this depends on case) and is present at low loads (30-40%) as well. I can even hear a very very quite version of this crackling/buzzing sound when the PC is idle with open case. I'd like to ask if anyone has any insight if this is normal; if this could be cause by the PSU even as it is 7 years old now. Last bit to add is that I do not know if this noise existed before I opened the case at some point, however I can definitely say it didn't exist when I first got the GPU about 3 years ago.

With the video I recorded this is me scrolling through the Victoria 3 map at high settings, no AA, at ~40% load.

View: https://youtu.be/nOd-bsH0FLo

I have tried: underclocking, reducing the power limit, changing the power cord to the PSU but these made no difference. It is also definitely not any fan as turning them all off preserves the noise fully.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 3600
Asus ROG-Strix RTX 2060S
EVGA 500W, 80+ White PSU
4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz
2xM.2 Samsung NVme
1xSata SSD

Let's just start right off by replacing that seriously POS power supply. Those W1 series units are pretty terrible and I'm willing to bet replacing it with a quality unit will likely correct the problem if it hasn't already caused any permanent damage via excessive ripple or poor voltage regulation, both of which those units are well known for.

That unit has no place whatsoever being in the same machine as the rest of that hardware. Period. And even if it turns out to NOT be the problem, it's almost pointless to even try figuring out what the problem IS without having a known good quality PSU in there.

Oct 30, 2022
Hello, so I have had a look on the list you've provided and replaced the psu it with a Corsair RM750 (2021). The issue however still persists, but what I've noticed is that in some games this whine is substantially less in some situations (it is however varies on game and scene). Also turning power limit slider down in MSI afterburner actually reduces the whine now, in some games.

So, if it is FOR CERTAIN coming from the graphics card, then it should be a warrantable problem. When did you buy this card? Is it still under warranty?

If not, there is really not much you can do about it. Coil whine, regardless of the source, usually isn't a user-fixable problem. If you can for certain determine what exactly is generating the coil whine you can try a spot of hot glue up against that component to try and stifle the vibration inducing the whine, but it's pretty hard to identify that normally and even if you do, doesn't always work. If you never noticed this with the side panel on, and if the card is not under warranty anymore, I'd say, put the panel back on and pretend like you never heard it as it's unlikely to create any actual problems other than being annoying.

TRENDING THREADS