RTX 2070 - 70 degrees playing OW on Ultra/Epic max FPS?

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Is this okay? Also, this PC was built on January 19 and I just started getting an error in OW I never had in my old 1050Ti SC, AMD FX-4300 build - the 'rendering device has been lost' error which has crashed my OW twice now. The Windows Event Viewer says 'display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding' for each instance of this crash.

Per the official tech support OW forums, Blizzard and Nvidia are working together on this as it appears to be affecting RTX cards. Blizzard has said renaming the Overwatch.exe to OverwatchTest.exe should fix the issue as it does something with driver profiles... I hope it's just an Nvidia driver issue and not my card. I haven't had other games crash.

Rainbow Six Siege did BSOD once and also had Destiny 2 crashing but that was after I moved my RTX 2070 into the PCIE x 16 slot (first slot) on my ASRock Z390 Extreme4. Was told I could have a faulty PCIE controller on the CPU itself as that slot pulls off CPU. I moved it back to the second PCIE x8 slot and no other games have crashed yet. Just this OW crash which several others are posting about in this official tech support topic on OW forums.

Wondering about my temps though - the PC was idling at 42.5 C when first built. I run OW on Ultra or Epic (went back down to Ultra because these crashes) and have vsync off in both Nvidia control panel and in game. I have set the frames to custom 300 (max) and I am getting about 160-170 frames in the practice range. 1080p, 60Hz monitor... are my temps at 70 C okay? I feel my frames should be displaying higher figures though (and I know my monitor is limited but shouldn't I still see the figure for frames the game is outputting even if I'm not technically seeing that with my actual eyes)? 170 seems low.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Guess I have to hope my GPU is good and not defective and that this is just an issue with Overwatch. The BSOD on R6S and Destiny 2 crashes concerned me but I think that was a PCIE x16 slot error/CPU defect for that slot. I am not sending anything back to have to rebuild as I am not getting any other game crashes on PCIE x8 slot. Could be mobo or CPU for that issue... but I can live with it as long as my GPU isn't defective.

Destiny 2 crashed within 30 mins in the first slot, and R6S BSOD'd/crashed within an hour. I switched back slots and Destiny 2 was left okay running 5+ hours, albeit I was away at the bar because I REALLY needed a drink that day dealing with my computer all night/that day.

Phazoner

Distinguished
As you said it feels like a software problem. You can try to clean your drivers installation using DDU just in case, and put the GPU under heavy charge for example with a game like Battlefield or Ryse at 4K to make it sweat and check if it fails again, although it doesn't look like it should, if it was me I would check everything (and definitely return the MoBo).

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I'd have to disassemble the entire build to do that... and it could be the CPU from what I have been told. Apparently PCIE x16 for this mobo at least doesn't run off mobo chipset but from CPU. If I got a replacement of the same and still had the issue then the CPU would be the culprit. I can live with leaving it in the PCIE x8 slot knowing that I can never use PCIE x16. I know a lot of people can't.. I just want it to stay working the way it is now. If I can get 6 years from this build it'll have been worth it.

Phazoner

Distinguished

Then keep it and just try the software workarounds.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Do my frames sound low to you for my specs? Most specs in signature, PSU CX650M 80+ Bronze Cert 650W PSU; be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2 cooler. Stock everything as far as speeds - I did change RAM to 3000 Mhz in BIOS when PC first built as it was default 2133 or something.

160-180 FPS? I expected to see 200+..

Phazoner

Distinguished
Comparing to a Youtube video with that card 160-170FPS is what the 2070 looks to deliver. Anyways, I have a 240Hz monitor and I assure you that most of the companies don't really bother about optimization for such high framerates. It looks like in most of the cases the target is to optimize good enough for 144Hz monitors, and in some games like the latest Battlefield you can easily notice this as the difference between good and high end processors isn't big and the difference between the best graphics cards uses to be a noticeable leap but still the FPS difference isn't proportional to the performance one.