[SOLVED] Rtx 2070 and I5 7600k bottleneck?

Nov 21, 2019
Hello there, so for the black Friday I was thinking about upgrading my gpu from an sapphire rx 480 8gb oc to an aorus rtx 2070 because the graphics quality on rx 480 is not that good anymore, but I don't know for sure if the 2070 will bottleneck combining it with my I5 7600k, personally I think it's still a good cpu and gets the job done, so my questions are:
  • will the rtx 2070 and my I5 7600k bottleneck a lot?
  • if yes, can i still buy the 2070 and use it with my I5 7600k until I will upgrade my cpu and motherboard?

My actual configuration:

• I5 7600k (not oc)
  • MSI Z270 tomahawk
  • Sapphire Radeon rx 480 8gb nitro + oc
  • 2 x 4gb ram hyperx 2666 MHz
I forgot to mention, if I can buy the 2070 I will upgrade the ram too

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Yes, it will bottleneck a fair bit, depending on the particular game.

You could get the 2070 anyway, but if you're CPU limited that can result in stuttering. In some cases you can mitigate this by cranking up the graphics settings (and/or using DSR to render at a higher resolution), such that your average FPS is lower but more stable. But not always.

OCing can also help mitigate, but having only 4 cores/4 threads is simply not enough for smooth fps in all games anymore.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

You could get the 2070 anyway, but if you're CPU limited that can result in stuttering. In some cases you can mitigate this by cranking up the graphics settings (and/or using DSR to render at a higher resolution), such that your average FPS is lower but more stable. But not always.

OCing can also help mitigate, but having only 4 cores/4 threads is simply not enough for smooth fps in all games anymore.

Reactions: Emilionaire
Solution
Nov 21, 2019

OK, so for now I will but the 2070, I will overclock my cpu and later (2 months maybe) I will upgrade my cpu too.
Thank you fot your fast answer

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like a good plan. Just an FYI, upgrading your CPU will require a new motherboard. You may want to buy a new 2x8GB of RAM when you upgrade your RAM as well, rather than trying to add to your existing memory. RAM that isn't purchased together as a kit isn't always compatible, plus it'd be beneficial to get some faster memory (e.g. 3200-3600 MHz).

TRENDING THREADS