[SOLVED] Rtx 2070 fan connector melted. Can I fix?

Dec 5, 2020
Hello, recently I was running heavily modded new vegas when all of the sudden my computer rebooted and I smelt a burning smell, when i looked over at my pc the RGB for the GeForce RTX 2070 logo had shut off. After that my computer would reboot itself every hour and the GPU fans would spin at max speed.

After some time trying to find the source of the problem I discovered that the wire that connects the fans to the GPU’s motherboard has partially melted and 2 pins are exposed. Pics here: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/jAZLREd

I removed the GPU and am now running my PC through my mobo’s integrated graphics and is running fine for now.

Is this why my pc will all the sudden reboot and the fans go crazy, and is there any way to fix this or should I just toss it out and start saving for a better GPU?

specs:
Intel I5 10600k
Asus TUF z490
Corsair vengeance 16gb
Corsair 650w bronze
Evga GeForce rtx 2070

Last edited:
Solution
Don't toss it; it ought to be covered by warranty unless you were doing something sketchy (screwed up overclock, garbage power supply). 2070's came out in mid-2019, so none of them ought to be out of warranty yet, which is usually three years.

DSzymborski

Titan
Don't toss it; it ought to be covered by warranty unless you were doing something sketchy (screwed up overclock, garbage power supply). 2070's came out in mid-2019, so none of them ought to be out of warranty yet, which is usually three years.

Solution
Dec 5, 2020
I purchased it off eBay due to GPUs being insanely hard to find now for a reasonable price, and I've already unscrewed it and looked inside it, is the warranty still good then?

DSzymborski

Titan
I purchased it off eBay due to GPUs being insanely hard to find now for a reasonable price, and I've already unscrewed it and looked inside it, is the warranty still good then?

Usually is. Depends on the company. Some, like EVGA or Gigabyte are fairly easy to deal with, while more obscure brands can be hit-and-miss. Just start and RMA request and see what they say.

Dec 5, 2020
Usually is. Depends on the company. Some, like EVGA or Gigabyte are fairly easy to deal with, while more obscure brands can be hit-and-miss. Just start and RMA request and see what they say.
Thank you! The only thing I'm worried about now is getting a new GPU and having the exact same thing happen