[SOLVED] Rtx 2070 FE vs 3rd party cards

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
So i really love the looks of the Founders Edition for the rtx 2070 super, i know that the 3rd party cards have better cooling and boost clocks. Is the founders edition loud when it comes to fans and cooling? I think its called blower style (idk dont judge). But i also found the Zotac rtx 2070 super twin fan, it looks nice but i heard that the fans on the zotac card are on when idle and they are very loud. I dont want to go any higher than $499.99 for the rtx card, the FE and zotac are the same price. I just think the FE looks nicer (the cuda cores and boost clock on the reference And zotac cards are the same). I am upgrading from a 1060 6gb id prefer the 2070 super over any other card. I have watched some videos of temps and the FE on underload stays almost 70 celcius but 30 degrees idle (not sure if im correct). I guess what im saying is if i like the FE is it going to be a super loud noise while my headphones are on playing games? Id rather my pc be quiet but if the FE is no issue with that please let me knoww

Solution
In that price range, if you are in the US, this is the card I would go with. Yes, it is a few dollars more, but the level of customer service you get AND the option to add 2 additional years of EVGA factory warranty (Not some weak third party "warranty") to the card for an additional 25 dollars at any point within 90 days of purchase, makes it more than worth it. And that's without expounding on the fact that EVGA has been doing this longer than the majority of companies out there today still making Nvidia based graphics cards or the fact that they've been the #1 authorized Nvidia board partner in North America for a very long time, for good reason, which is that they build to a higher standard than most other companies and tend to not...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I own the 2070 Super FE I love it, it's very quiet with the stock fan profile but can get quite loud if you use a custom fan profile and allow it to ramp up higher than it would stock. Mine will run at around 70c 1900mhz+ which is fine for me, I can easily overclock it higher at the cost of a bit more noise. But my case fans and CPU cooler are significantly louder than the GPU fans so I tend not to notice it. I also use headphones and I certainly cannot hear anything with them on. These newer FE 2XXX cards are much better than the older blower cooler reference cards nvidia used to sell.

It is not a blower cooler, it's a vapor chamber with two top mounted fans that exhaust into the case like most custom cards out there. Main difference is the vapor chamber versus a traditional fin stack.

The PCB and VRM quality is either the same or better than that zotac card, personally I would opt for an FE card over the zotac twin fan.

In that price range, if you are in the US, this is the card I would go with. Yes, it is a few dollars more, but the level of customer service you get AND the option to add 2 additional years of EVGA factory warranty (Not some weak third party "warranty") to the card for an additional 25 dollars at any point within 90 days of purchase, makes it more than worth it. And that's without expounding on the fact that EVGA has been doing this longer than the majority of companies out there today still making Nvidia based graphics cards or the fact that they've been the #1 authorized Nvidia board partner in North America for a very long time, for good reason, which is that they build to a higher standard than most other companies and tend to not have as many (Or in some cases, any) of the same issues that plague some other brands when it comes to quality controls.

If you buy an Nvidia based card, IMO, EVGA should be the primary consideration. Other factors such as sales happening at the time of purchase might definitely have to be considered when comparing options though, but I'd have to see a pretty compelling reason to go with anything other than EVGA when it comes to an Nvidia based card or Sapphire when it comes to an AMD based card.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($513.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $513.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-15 13:06 EST-0500

Solution

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
In that price range, if you are in the US, this is the card I would go with. Yes, it is a few dollars more, but the level of customer service you get AND the option to add 2 additional years of EVGA factory warranty (Not some weak third party "warranty") to the card for an additional 25 dollars at any point within 90 days of purchase, makes it more than worth it. And that's without expounding on the fact that EVGA has been doing this longer than the majority of companies out there today still making Nvidia based graphics cards or the fact that they've been the #1 authorized Nvidia board partner in North America for a very long time, for good reason, which is that they build to a higher standard than most other companies and tend to not have as many (Or in some cases, any) of the same issues that plague some other brands when it comes to quality controls.

If you buy an Nvidia based card, IMO, EVGA should be the primary consideration. Other factors such as sales happening at the time of purchase might definitely have to be considered when comparing options though, but I'd have to see a pretty compelling reason to go with anything other than EVGA when it comes to an Nvidia based card or Sapphire when it comes to an AMD based card.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($513.98 @ Newegg)
Okay thank you, i will keep that in mind , i just love how the FE looks. I don’t plan on doing OC or anything. I just will be building a high end gaming system. I will say though the pc wont be built until june so im not sure if nvidia will release the 3xxx cards like the 3080 or something, i just want the best i can get for 1080p and the 2070 supers results i have seen i am in love

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I own the 2070 Super FE I love it, it's very quiet with the stock fan profile but can get quite loud if you use a custom fan profile and allow it to ramp up higher than it would stock. Mine will run at around 70c 1900mhz+ which is fine for me, I can easily overclock it higher at the cost of a bit more noise. But my case fans and CPU cooler are significantly louder than the GPU fans so I tend not to notice it. I also use headphones and I certainly cannot hear anything with them on. These newer FE 2XXX cards are much better than the older blower cooler reference cards nvidia used to sell.

It is not a blower cooler, it's a vapor chamber with two top mounted fans that exhaust into the case like most custom cards out there. Main difference is the vapor chamber versus a traditional fin stack.

The PCB and VRM quality is either the same or better than that zotac card, personally I would opt for an FE card over the zotac twin fan.
Yea i wasnt sure how the noise level was or how the temps are when idle or underload, i will have a total of 6 fans in the case, 3 up front, 2 up top (AIO liquid cooler by corsair) and then one rear and ig you can include the 2 on the gpu

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

I was going to buy the Founders edition straight from Nvidia themselves

Nvidia is a nightmare to deal with compared to EVGA. Their customer service is not even on the same planet, much less on the same level, as what EVGA offers it's customers. I'm not saying it's "bad" necessarily, but in the entirety of the hardware industry I don't know of ANY other company with the level of customer service that EVGA has. Not one. And their products are first rate.

This will tell you something further about THAT particular Nvidia vs EVGA, even on FE cards, debate.

https://forums.evga.com/Difference-between-EVGA-and-Nvidia-FE-m2629169.aspx

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Nvidia is a nightmare to deal with compared to EVGA. Their customer service is not even on the same planet, much less on the same level, as what EVGA offers it's customers. I'm not saying it's "bad" necessarily, but in the entirety of the hardware industry I don't know of ANY other company with the level of customer service that EVGA has. Not one. And their products are first rate.

This will tell you something further about THAT particular Nvidia vs EVGA, even on FE cards, debate.

https://forums.evga.com/Difference-between-EVGA-and-Nvidia-FE-m2629169.aspx
So you say EVGA’s cards are better than any other 3rd party’s? I just like the looks of the founders edition but i also did see like 3 or 4 EVGA 2070 super cards and wasnt sure which to get

For ALL EVGA cards, without stepping up to the ULTRA expensive models like the FTW3 or Hybrid models, the XC Ultra gaming are the ones to get. But, all of the XC models are pretty good. The SC models are still good, but they are the budget offerings. They lack the binned chips, better cooling and higher clocks like the XC models, especially the XC Ultra gaming. The XC Ultra gaming also has user configurable color LED lighting on the top of the card, like my 2060 Super.

Keep in mind, the only thing you'll EVER really see, is the TOP of the card, and a little of the back of the card (Which is why having a backplate is a good idea if looks matter to you. Plus, it usually offers some cooling advantages as well.), so the side with the fans on it will really never even be seen anyhow.

oN8mXyi.jpg