Question RTX 2070 Founders Edition Artifacting - Potential Cause Found

Jun 12, 2022
Some background: I bought a parts/not working RTX 2070 Fe off of Ebay. The seller said that the card would artifact at 60 degrees C and crash to desktop. I figured the card needed a thermal paste replacement, so I bought it thinking I could save a buck. Unfortunately, repasting the card did not fix the issue, and the card artifacts when doing any sort of gaming or 3-D rendering tasks; however, I think I may have found another issue with the card.

I inspected the PCB, front and back, and compared it to the PCB images on techpowerup. When looking at the back, I noticed that some SMDs, labeled "1R0" were in different orientations.

Pics:
Wpp2Jaa.jpg

InLL5g1.png

uDF9PwT.jpg

oFEMw0Z.png

Is this the reason why my card artifacts? I am by no means an electrical engineer, but I don't think those are supposed to be backwards.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when I attempted to play games, the card would make audible buzzing noises. It didn't sound like a short, but it sounded like it was coil whine.

Jun 12, 2022
They look like resistors - according to a 3 digit SMD resistor calculator they're 1 and 1.8ohm ones. Not an electrical engineer either but a quick google search reassures me that they are not directional, so it's probably just soldered on whichever way it happens to be arranged.

Some background: I bought a parts/not working RTX 2070 Fe off of Ebay. The seller said that the card would artifact at 60 degrees C and crash to desktop.
Underclock the vram MHz in MSI Afterburner. It might be able to function longer or remove the artifacting. If that doesn't change anything, try underclocking the GPU MHz. You can also try lowering the power limit of the card.

You won't be able to get any warranty service on the card since it's likely out of the 3 year warranty period. You would need to find a company or person that can properly assess the issue with the card and have the tools, equipment and parts to fix the card. This could end up costing you as much or more as just buying an RTX 3060 (same performance as a 2070) at current prices.