[SOLVED] RTX 2070 from MSI restarting PC during gameplay

Sep 16, 2019
Hello,

I recently purchased a new RTX 2070 Gaming Z video card and During gameplay my PC just shuts down and reboots. If temps are over heating can some one advise a program that records that data? I threw in my old GTX 1060 and problems are gone. Not sure if My current specs can support the 2070 but before I got this RTX 2070 I bought the Nvidia RTX 2070 Super and same thing happened there. I tried several things but obviously need more help. I am using a Philips TV 55 inch 4K 55PFL5402, hdmi to display port cable, MSI Gaming 5 Z97 1150, I4690K, 16GB Ram DDR3 1600, Corsair CX750M PSU, Samsung SSD drive.

I am worried that the 1150 is not compatible with this video card but Nvidia's compatibility list says it all compatible. First all my drivers are up to date. MSI offers drivers from 2018 and I downloaded all of them. Nvidia driver is at 436.15. I read on anther forum to connect a separate power cable from the CPU to the video card and so far that did not resolve the situation. Please let me know what I shoudl try next or what I am doing wrong thanks!

Solution
Have you overclocked anything, is your PSU strong enough? It sounds like something in your system is unstable and crashes when you play, causing the system to force a reboot, try setting things to base clock for the time being, otherwise you may need a new power supply too, a faulty capacitor may cause instability and crash the system (also fry everything, thats bad).

The Corsair CXM series are more of an entry level psu, the RXM series is better, evga supernova and seasonic focus gold are also good

The 2070 requires an 8 pin plus a 6 pin pcie connector (cpu wont cut it, the voltage is the same, but the pinout is reversed), its not getting enough power, and so is unstable if you haven't met these needs, add the pcie modular cable and...

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Have you overclocked anything, is your PSU strong enough? It sounds like something in your system is unstable and crashes when you play, causing the system to force a reboot, try setting things to base clock for the time being, otherwise you may need a new power supply too, a faulty capacitor may cause instability and crash the system (also fry everything, thats bad).

The Corsair CXM series are more of an entry level psu, the RXM series is better, evga supernova and seasonic focus gold are also good

The 2070 requires an 8 pin plus a 6 pin pcie connector (cpu wont cut it, the voltage is the same, but the pinout is reversed), its not getting enough power, and so is unstable if you haven't met these needs, add the pcie modular cable and try again.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 16, 2019

The 2070 requires an 8 pin plus a 6 pin pcie connector (cpu wont cut it, the voltage is the same, but the pinout is reversed), its not getting enough power, and so is unstable if you haven't met these needs, add the pcie modular cable and try again.

Yep that sure did it. I went out and purchased a brand new RM 850x for 139.00 at best buy. After connecting it all up played ghost recon wildlands on Ultra with 4k res and cpu is running just fine and no shutdowns

Reactions: Does it work