[SOLVED] RTX 2070 goes to max fan speed

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I have a pretty strong PC setup, but I often experience troubles regarding my GPU - during the game it reaches max fan speed and doesn't stop.

My specs:
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K - 8x 3.60GHz
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2070 AERO 8G
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Gaming
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4-3200 CL 16 - 16 GB (2x8GB)
PSU - Corsair RM550x v2 - 550 Watt
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15 CPU - 140/140mm
SSD - Samsung 250GB SSD 860 EVO
SSD 2 - Samsung 1TB SSD 860 EVO
HDD - 1TB

While gaming, my GPU suddenly starts its fan speeds to maximum and anything that's running on desktop becomes unresponsive. If I Alt-Tab to desktop, it feels like whole system is clogged and I can't click on anything (left it for more than 20 minutes even). Only restarting the computer works. Funny thing is that some games will stop working and go to black screen, while some (namely CS:GO) just continue working like nothing happened.
When the fans go to maximum, I have to note that this maximum sounds a lot higher than the 100% I set up on MSI Afterburner for testing.

I want to note that the fan on my GPU looks like this.
1024.png

And my MSI Afterburner settings:

msi.png

msi-custom.png

What do you guys think is the problem?

Solution
I believe the issue was in my MSI Afterburner settings. As you can see from the picture in the first post, my MSI Afterburner did not have "Auto" enabled and thus was running on low speed - thus my custom fan curve didn't do anything. Ever since I enabled that, I've been having a steady 70-75°C GPU temperature.
your desktop is freezing up due to some type of GPU malfunction.

it's fairly hard to diagnose what may be causing it; another component(PSU, motherboard, RAM, etc), or just the card itself failing.

what temperatures are you hitting with the CPU & GPU while idling and during heavy use?

try each stick of RAM separately, one at a time.
make sure all system cables are seated firmly at both ends.
make sure you have everything updated; BIOS & all motherboard system drivers.
try running DDU and removing all traces of GPU related software and settings and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver package.

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

So, I've tried both RAM sticks separately and it still occurs the same.
I've updated my BIOS and reinstalled my motherboard and NVIDIA drivers.

Yet the problem still occurs. I've been able to try out three different games today and this is the result:
Heroes of the Storm
GPU temperature varies between 80-83°C while CPU temperature goes around 40-41°C.
I'm playing on maximum graphics here.
I have to note that even though the GPU temperature reaches ridiculously high, it never started to spin the GPU fan on max or freeze my desktop. Another note is that I play it on windowed full-screen.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
GPU temperature varies between 80-84°C while CPU temperature stays stable at 40°C.
I've tried this both with maximum graphics and tuning down some settings to see if it changes. It actually stays exactly the same (temperature-wise and the way GPU's fans start blowing out).
I'm however playing this on fullscreen.

World of Warcraft
GPU temperature varies between 80-86°C while CPU temperature goes around 40-41°C.
I'm playing on maximum graphics here plus using quite some addons which might affect performance (as in amount of things it has to render or check).
I have to note that the GPU fan did start to spin at 86°C, but stopped a second later because it managed to lower GPU temperature to 82°C. It then started again when reaching 86°C.
I'm playing this on windowed full-screen.

My guess is that GPU is overheating drastically, but I still don't know the cause of it.
I'll add that I have only 2 SiletWings 3 140 fans on my case at the moment. A package will arrive tomorrow with 4 additional fans for my case which I'll be installing in hope of it making my air circulation better.

It seems really odd to me as my setup isn't bad and playing some old games on higher graphics shouldn't really overheat my GPU that much, should it?

t seems really odd to me as my setup isn't bad and playing some old games on higher graphics shouldn't really overheat my GPU that much, should it?
without any cooler air to draw in a GPU will reach fairly high temps from just regular usage. 80° is a bit higher than i would expect though since the CPU seems to stay at a decent temp.

it could also be the design of the case. if there is a pocket of warm air surrounding the GPU that keeps getting recycled through the GPU, it will constantly increase in temperature. your blower style card can help prevent this some but it can still continue to happen.

try taking off the case side panel and having a regular fan blowing air into the case, turn up the GPU fan to ~100%, and run one of those games.

if the GPU continues to reach those extra high temps than it is an issue with the card itself.

Delythien

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I believe the issue was in my MSI Afterburner settings. As you can see from the picture in the first post, my MSI Afterburner did not have "Auto" enabled and thus was running on low speed - thus my custom fan curve didn't do anything. Ever since I enabled that, I've been having a steady 70-75°C GPU temperature.

Solution