RTX 2070 greatly underperforming

Feb 4, 2019
Recently I bought a new RTX 2070 for gaming. I had a GTX 970 before. I was playing minecraft and CS:GO, and I saw that the frames I'm getting aren't any different from my 970. I benchmarked my PC with userbenchmark.com and it said that my graphics card was greatly underperforming at the 7th percentile. It also said my CPU is performing way below expectations in the 5th percentile.

My specs:
RTX 2070 GPU
Core i7-5829K CPU @ 3.30 GHz
24 GB of RAM
I'm not sure what else I have, but I could probably figure it out if you need it. I'm not very good with hardware, so I'm not sure what's needed to fix this kind of issue.

Update: I just tried to load an SD card on my computer. It took about a minute to load the card when my father's antique computer just loaded it instantly.
Here's screenshots of my CPU and GPU temperatures while in game.
qtI1aLz.png

HdzY9lb.png

Sorry if the screenshots have too much information, I'm not familiar with the program or the information it shows, so I didn't want to leave anything out. If you need more information I'll be glad to share it with you if it means I can get my hardware working.

Is the card in the top PCIE slot? Are you running 4 sticks of RAM in quad channel configuration, what motherboard do you have and what Power supply do you have? Does a slight overclock of say, 300-400Mhz make any difference? Do you have the Nvidia driver settings set to "Prefer Maximum Performance" under power management mode in 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel?

Feb 4, 2019

The card is in the top slot, I believe. The computer was pre-built with the 970 so I took that out and put the 2070 in the same spot, which if I'm not mistaken is the top slot.

I'm not sure that quad channel configuration is, but I do have 4 sticks of RAM. 2 sticks of four GB, and 2 sticks of 8 GB.

My power supply is an "Alienware 850 Watt Multi-G PU Approved Power Supply" and I apologize but I haven't been able to figure out what motherboard I have, although I'm sure it's an important bit of information.

Edit: Power management mode was not set to Prefer Maximum Performance, however I did change the setting to Perfer Maximum Performance and it didn't change anything.

Edit 2: I've just attempted to overclock my cpu, but changing the setting from 100.00 MHz seems to break it. I put it at 110.06 just to test it, but it gave me a message about it failing and needing to boot with default settings. I apologize for not being much help, I'm not very knowledgeable with this sort of thing.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015

Don't want to hijack but maybe you can shed some light on my situation. My RTX 2070 doesn't seem to work at all in my top PCIE x16 slot on ASRock Z390 Extreme4 LGA 1151 motherboard. I mean it works but issues arise: Rainbow Six Siege crashed after 1 hour and BSoD'd, Destiny 2 crashed to desktop after 30 mins, and Overwatch was crashing after 10-20 minutes with 'rendering device lost.' I moved the card back to the second PCIE x8 slot where it was initially since building this PC on January 19 and other games work fine now. Only game I get crashes on is Overwatch with 'nvlddmkm stopped working' event viewer warnings. Apparently this is widespread for Overwatch for RTX cards and Blizzard is aware. Is this pointing to a faulty motherboard PCIE x16 slot or potentially bad PCIE controller for the CPU? This x8 slot seems to work.

I'm fine leaving my GPU where it is on the motherboard - I just don't want a faulty GPU since I have read some horror stories on the Nvidia forums...

Also wondering if 160-170 FPS on OW (Practice Range tested) is bad for my rig? i5-9600K 3.7Ghz (4.6 turbo), RTX 2070 XC Black Edition (GDDR6 Samsung), G-SKILL AEGIS 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz.

Ok, don't worry about overclock if you don't know how to do it. Can you give me some details on the FPS you are getting in CSGO? Also, this may sound silly, but do you have vsync turned off for the games to make sure that you are not getting capped at 30 or 60 FPS? How are you checking the FPS in CSGO? And you have the power connectors firmly slotted into the GPU itself right? The card is fully seated in the PCIE slot right?

If the GPU works fine in the second slot then I wouldn't worry about the GPU as much being the issue. OP he has a point here, can you also try your GPU in the second PCIE slot and see if it makes any difference?