Rtx 2070 in a 2.0 PCI Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
So I want to buy an Rtx 2070 which has a PCI of 3.0 and my motherboard has a PCI 2.0, my Gtx 1060 3Gb has a 3.0 too and it works but I want to know if the Rtx will work in my motherboard. Thanks.

Solution

If Windows Update isn't picking it up automatically, then you'll have to either download the Windows Upgrade tool to upgrade Windows 10 to version 1809 or just download the Windows 10 1809 image from the Microsoft website and do a clean install if you wish.
Nov 26, 2018
How Can I say this, I don’t want to buy the Rtx, I already have it and it doesn’t work, I have already tried with another motherboard with PCI 2.0 and neither works there, I had already sold my Gtx 1060 and I don’t have a graphic card right now. My motherboard is a Asus H81M-A with Intel Core i7 4790, 16 Gb Ram DDR3 and 600W PSU.

Well you could try a BIOS update and see if that improve compatibility with newer GPUs. You should have PCI-E 3.0 support on a Haswell CPU and board for your larger x16 slot. PCI-E 2.0 support is only for the smaller x1 or x4 slots that your board might have.

Yeah, failing that you probably should verify that the RTX 2070 works at all, have you tried it on a newer system? If not you may have a card that's dead on arrival, it happens sometimes.

Nov 26, 2018
Well I have the latest BIOS version so I’m fucked. I’m going to sell my I7 4790, my actual motherboard and my 16Gb ram and I will go for a i3 8100 or a i5 8400 (I think that was the number), 8Gb RAM and an modern motherboard with PCI 3.0, but I don’t want to sell my Rtx 2070 haha.

I'd say make sure the RTX 2070 actually works before doing any of that. The i7 4790 and H81 motherboard should have PCI-E 3.0 support. If you don't have a newer system and don't have a friend with a newer system, maybe take it to a computer store and have them test it, see if it actually works, you may just have to RMA the GPU instead.

Nov 26, 2018
So I was reading the box of the Rtx and it says: “PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot.” It never says about 3.0 or 2.0. So I checked again and I Can see that the video card doesn’t fit correctly in the PCI slot, it fits more from one side than the other, Here you Can see the picture. https://m.imgur.com/sxLCbHu As you can see, it fits more from the left side of the picture than the right side. My PC tower is a Corsair Spec Alpha.

Yeah it looks like the tab next to the PCI-E connector on the card is colliding with something sticking up from the board preventing it from fully sliding in. You might just have a physical compatibility problem with that board and you'd have to get a card that doesn't have a tab sticking down next to the PCI-E connector.

Nov 26, 2018
Forget about the last subject guys, I already sold my old combo and bought a new one, I just got an Intel Core i5 7400, Asus H110M Pro-Vh Plus and 16 Gb Ram. The Rtx 2070 works in this new rig but, my processor always reach 100% ussage and my GPU reachs to 30-40% which means one thing: "Bottleneck". I found a page that shows some benchmarks with my processor and my Rtx and it shows some incredible result like Battlefield V in 2k at Ultra settings running at 65 fps when I can barely run it a 28fps at 2k in High settings, I don't know what the fuck I can do. By the way, I didn't re-install Windows, just plugged my hard drive and SSD and boot up, do I need to re-instal Windows? Or I need to go for a i7? I hope you guys can help me. I will appreciate.

Nov 26, 2018
https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070/intel-core-i5-7400-3-00ghz/ultra?lang=en&currency=usd%27%3E%20Battlefield%201%3C/a%3E%3C/td%3E%20%20%20%20%3Ctd%20style= this is the page with the benchmarks. Of course, this isn't accurate with what I am testing with my own games xD.

For Battlefield 5 you need more than 4 threads to get good performance, and on that particular motherboard, that means getting an i7. Really you shouldn't have bought an H110 motherboard, they are only compatible with 6th and 7th generation CPUs, and only the i7s from those generations are really capable of good performance in some of the more CPU heavy AAA games. I'd suggest returning it and either getting a 300 series chipset board with an 8th or 9th gen CPU, or going AMD and getting something like the R5 2600 instead.

Also make sure that DXR reflections are off, that is the real time ray tracing feature, and it will absolutely tank performance. Realistically Nvidia might as well have not bothered including ray tracing on anything below the RTX 2080, the 2070 and 2060 don't really have enough ray tracing hardware to run it well.

Nov 26, 2018
I don’t even have the option to run DXR on Battlefield V haha. Just load optimized configuration on BIOS and update it and now Battlefield V runs at 65Fps in High Settings in 2560x1440p. Anyway, I don’t see the option for DXR, I have the latest drivers on GeForce Experience and Windows Updates. What do I need to download?

Do you have the latest build of Windows 10 which right now is 1809? Battlefield 5's ray tracing function is part of DirectX 12 and was added in build 1809. If you have an older Windows 10 build, that's why it wouldn't show up. In any case all it provides are some pretty reflections on some surfaces that also happen to absolutely tank the framerate.

If Windows Update isn't picking it up automatically, then you'll have to either download the Windows Upgrade tool to upgrade Windows 10 to version 1809 or just download the Windows 10 1809 image from the Microsoft website and do a clean install if you wish.

Solution
Nov 26, 2018
Dude, I don't know how you still here lol, you have been helping me since the begining omg, I don't know what else I can say but thanks, thanks you a lot. I can't believe it you did stay here lol. Thanks a lot.

siniarch

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of buying a RTX 2070 to use with my new monitor which is capable of displaying 5120x2160 @ 60hz. model: LG 34wk95u
I currently have a GTX 970 and although I did check it did 5k resolutions, I didn't read the small print that it need to do it with two cables.
My motherboard is an ASUS P6X58D-E which only support PCI Express x16 2.0.
The processor is a Intel i7 X980 @3.33Ghz, 334 Mhz, 6 Core
Memory 48 GB
I don't need to do games, but I do want the 5120x2160 @ 60hz. Currently I can only do that resolution at 30hz which is not good for my eyes. Has anyone tried this combination? I'm looking to buy the graphics card on Craig's List, so it's not like I can return it.
Thanks so much.

Jul 28, 2020
Yes, it will work. PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0 should make little difference in performance. What are the rest of your system specs, including exact model of PSU? What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?

I have the same question, I bought a 5700xt and got nothing but BSOD with my current build so I RMA'd it and want a RTX Card, just weary to go through another 3 week debacle getting my money back on another card that may not work.

Do you think there would be any bottle-necking or performance issues with this system ? >

CURRENT PC SPECS:

Gigabyte 990FX Motherboard v1
32GB DDR3 1600MHZ (IK IK OLD N SLOW) best I can have with this board
1tb Samsung EVO PRO SSD
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb
XFX PRO 850 W Gold Certified PSU
Monitor - ZOWIE BenQ 240hz 27" monitor
Gigabit internet

Status
Not open for further replies.