Question RTX 2070 (Mobile) performance cap problem ?

califauna

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2012
I have an MSI GE75 with a RTX 2070 GPU. I've had the laptop a while but don't do much gaming so never noticed I'm getting crappy performance from the dGPU. When I benchmarked it it and looked into the bad performance I saw it gets hit with a perfcap (performance cap) when the load gets over 39%, and it just repeatedly disables and enables itself after that. Not sure if it's the load or the frequency or what that causes the perfcap and have no idea what the underlying issue is. I've tried with 2 other vBIOSes already and get the same result with one, whereas with the other vBIOS it just stays idle after the first perfcap.

Seems like something hardware related. Same behavior when using another OS in the same machine.

Any tests I can do on it to diagnose the problem?

I attach some MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z monitor outputs. As can be seen, the perfcaps are for POWER and additionally for TEMPERATURE (same results/output with GPU-Z render test monitor). However, as one can see from the temperature data, temperature doesn't seem to be the actual cause, as there are moments where the temperature perfcap is triggered around 50 degrees, and it goes idle momentarily, but then after that the temperature keeps going up and there is no temperature perfcap. I had it running with a low load on a 2d for example up to 79 degrees degrees and it didn't disable itself. However, it's also noticeable that the load never gets above 39% for some reason. Not sure if that reveals anything in particular. Anytime it reaches 39% it spikes and you get the perfcap and it goes into on/off pattern, so normal activity doesn't trigger it, but benchmarks and heavy games and the like do.

Test 1
Test 2
Test 3
GPU-Z

Couple of other things...

I'm using an underpowered charger. Have never had any trouble with it charging the battery though, and benchmarking results are otherwise excellent. CPU and memory above average for the same hardware.

However, I notice that according the specs, the power draw of the dGPU in this model is around double that of the CPU. Could this possibly be a weak battery + charger issue which only appears under the highest loads, and only with the dGPU?

aprilia1k

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Have you made any progress with this, or is it no longer an issue?

It does sound like a possible throttling issue, maybe based on power consumption/settings since you've checked for over-heating.

I realize that you have most likely already verified these settings, but I figure these should be checked if anyone ELSE comes here with similar issues.

Assuming that the throttling could be due to power-management settings, since you checked the temps and it doesn't appear to be heat-related. Anyway - a couple of settings which can affect throttling of VID activity- specifically the BUS and the GPU in these settings:

tl;dr
  • Control Panel->Power Options->Change Plan..->advanced->PCI Express->Link State Power Management
    --- set it to OFF (at least
    for Plugged in)
  • NVidia Control Panel->Manage 3D.. -> Power Management Mode
    --- set it to "
    prefer Maximum Performance"
    or "
    prefer Consistent Performance"
Details (if desired)
1) Power Management settings in Windows:
Under your Power Options, I am assuming that the plan you are using has "Link State Power Management" set to OFF? (at least for "Plugged in").

If not, it might result in the system lowering PCIe lane speeds, or putting lanes in standby to conserve power. This might resemble throttling, depending upon it's implementation - e.g. if traffic settles near a threshold and the PM repeatedly toggles PCIe lane speeds and states as it prioritizes power-conserving over performance? Regardless, I know that it is not performance friendly for sure (Sorry for the verbose editorial ;-).

This is accessed from the control panel [wherever windows hides it now, lol] .
Get to the Control Panel, then Power Options, then select
Change Plan Settings (for the plan you are using).
i.e. Control Panel -> Power Options
Select "Change Plan Settings"
"Change Advanced Power Settings" option at the bottom.
This launches the "Power Options" configuration list-box.
Select the correct (active) plan you will be using
Expand the PCI Express component in the list-box thusly:

PCI Express->Link State Power Management settings.
At least for "plugged in", you should set it to "OFF" for better, more
consistent performance.

2) NVidia's Control Panel, under 3D Settings:

Select Manage 3D Settings, then - in the list of settings, locate
Power Management Mode
Set to either "Prefer consistent performance"
or "Prefer maximum performance"

The default of "Optimal Power" will throttle these hungry GPUs.

[I have a GE75 as well... I have fortunately not encountered any such issues with the RTX 2070. I've not run benchmarks but I observe closely and have only seen solidly ramped behavior without any evidence of throttling of any kind. This is the fastest lappy I've owned anyway. The cooling system is excellent - seriously. Very satisfied with this first MSI I've owned (always liked ASUS but this time around MSI had it going on ;-) Running W3 all Ultra ftmp and looks amazing [the 240Hz display is a nice pairing]. Will wait through several revs of Elden Ring before checking it out. ;-) ]

Last edited:

califauna

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2012
Have you made any progress with this, or is it no longer an issue?

Sorry didn't see this. It was caused by an underpowered power adapter. I was told that the batteries alone are not sufficient to power the dedicated GPUs in this model once the load gets high (above 39% it would seem). At that point in needs power from the charger, which was underpowered in my case. With a new charger of the proper powwer rating it was remedied.

As you are an owner of the same model, I'd be interested to no whether you can fully load up the 2070 GPU, for example when running benchmarks, and not have the same performance cap problem, or whether you too need the adapter plugged in.

Yes I also find this to be a well made laptop model. Cooling is OK, depending on the OS in my case. In my Windows 10 from a couple of years ago the fan is either off or virtually silent. In my newer Windows 10 install (slightly later release) that fan is a little more audible and a bit distracting. I am am used to a silent PC though.