[SOLVED] RTX 2070 No longer boosts on new motherboard

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
So I recently bought a new motherboard the MSI MPG Z390-A Plus, and ever since then my GPU won't boost clock. I can overclock it no problem, but for some reason it just doesn't want to boost.

Things I've tried:
  1. Using DDU
  2. Using Nvidia GeForce Experience to update drivers
  3. Plugging it out and plugging it back in
  4. Changing power mode from Prefer Maximum Performance to Adaptive.
Any help on this would be great!

Solution
Ye I still have no idea what's going on,

What motherboard/chipset did you change from?

Sometimes weird stuff can happen when you don't reinstall windows when you change mobo makes/models or chipsets not matter how well you uninstall the previous mobo drivers. I know it sucks but I think you should try reinstalling a clean fresh install of Windows along with the latest chipset and motherboard drivers and see if that solves it.
So I recently bought a new motherboard the MSI MPG Z390-A Plus, and ever since then my GPU won't boost clock. I can overclock it no problem, but for some reason it just doesn't want to boost.

Things I've tried:
  1. Using DDU
  2. Using Nvidia GeForce Experience to update drivers
  3. Plugging it out and plugging it back in
  4. Changing power mode from Prefer Maximum Performance to Adaptive.
Any help on this would be great!

What are you using to see that the cards not boosting?

Is there a physical switch or button on the card to change between silent/normal and a boost/gaming mode? Lots of cards have this and if you accidentally switched it while installing the card this could be it. Be sure to have the computer OFF when you switch or press the button.

Make sure there are no Afterburner/PrecisionX profiles running.

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
What are you using to see that the cards not boosting?

Is there a physical switch or button on the card to change between silent/normal and a boost/gaming mode? Lots of cards have this and if you accidentally switched it while installing the card this could be it. Be sure to have the computer OFF when you switch or press the button.

Make sure there are no Afterburner/PrecisionX profiles running.
Im using GPU-Z to analyze. My GPU is the MSI Armor 2070, it's pretty budget for a 2070 so I don't think it has a switch however I will tell you.

My GPU shows Idle in GPU-Z while running Escape From Tarkov and is stuck at 1410, I can't get any higher/

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Use Afterburner to monitor the boost clock while your gaming just to make sure its not a reporting issue with GPUZ
Already have done and it doesn't change at all, the graph stays a straight line.

My GPU is rated for 1410Mhz base clock with 1620Mhz as the boost. Without any overclocking at all my Core clock is only 1275Mhz, lower than what it's rated. I have to apply a 140Mhz to get it to the default Base clock.

Last edited:
Ye I still have no idea what's going on,

Sometimes weird stuff can happen when you don't reinstall windows when you change mobo makes/models or chipsets not matter how well you uninstall the previous mobo drivers. I know it sucks but I think you should try reinstalling a clean fresh install of Windows along with the latest chipset and motherboard drivers and see if that solves it.

Solution

kinggaming60

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018

I switched from ASUS Prime Z370-P to MSI MPG Z390-A Plus.
I have updated drivers, but I did read that doing a clean install of windows can help solve this problem.

TRENDING THREADS