Question RTX 2070 OR GTX 1080

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
Hey everyone im looking to upgrade my current gpu witch is a gtx 1060 6gb and was wandering what to get. I have someone who is willing asus gtx 1080 strix for 380 on gumtree or I was gonna get a rtx 2070 of of overclockers uk witch I left a link for down below
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04l-pl.html
they also have other rtx cards and ill leave a link for the other one below and the reason I choose that one was because its the cheapest one they have and you also get free games witch some of the other ones also have
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-2070?sPage=1&sSort=3
im looking to play at 1440p 1440htz the rest of my system specs are below
CPu ryzen 5 2600
power supply
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AK9NPCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ram 16gb 3000mhz

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Many people have been experiencing nothing but issues with the new 20 series cards, I would say stick to what has been thoroughly tested and is known to work without serious issues and get a 1080.

However, if you live in an area where there's a quality used market, then I would say spend that money on trying to get a 1080Ti instead.
There didn't seem to be much on Craigslist, but there has to be some other super popular used market site/app for the UK that you can check on.
In the states those would be OfferUp and LetGo along with Craigslist.
(Aside from Gumtree of course)

Otherwise, eBay ends up being the place to shop.
Can filter by local so that you don't get weird crap from China.
Here's the eBay search results filtered by UK Only and Price low to high for you to start with.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gtx+1080+ti&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

Otherwise, can just go with a 1080, I wouldn't trust the 20 series at this point.

However, I have a 6700K overclocked to 4.6Ghz and a GTX 1080Ti overclocked to 2050Mhz and a 1440p 144Hz monitor (btw, you have a typo on that) and I can only get about 90-120fps on average with high preset in modern games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so you're going to be hard pressed to get 144fps or more on a 1080 in heavy hitting titles like that, otherwise you could of course sacrifice graphic quality to medium preset to get that high after you overclock your GPU.

Also, if you aren't overclocking your Ryzen CPU, you should do that, as it will definitely help you out in the frame rate department.
But don't go for anything crazy if you are using the stock cooler. You gotta get yourself a decent after market cooler to past the 3.8 - 4.0Ghz barrier on that CPU.

Also, your current PSU falls into an extremely low tier category and I would highly advise you to upgrade it to higher quality unit as soon as possible.
And while you're at it could go for a 600w or more unit.

Here's my recommendation for acceptable quality on a budget with 600+ watts.

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
hey sorry about the typo and my cpu cooler is the cooler mastermaster liquid 240ml and my cpu is overclocked to 4ghz running at decent temps but would you recommend that I get a 1080 or the rtx 2070 like the one I sent you because im not gonna lie those free games seem pretty good (LOL) but the reason im bringing it up is would I not be better getting one of them or would it be better if I held out because im in no real rush to buy one

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if the 1060 is working well enough for you right now, then I would say wait and save up a little more until you can get a decently priced 1080Ti.
(I am still going to not personally recommend buying into RTX right now.)

The performance of the 2070 is basically the same as the 1080.
And a 2080 is more or less the same as a 1080Ti (1080Ti actually being better overall in performance once you start overclocking, it just does stuff. I love my 1080Ti)

But yeah, if the 1060 is working for you right now, then hold off and save up a little more and make the upgrade super worth it.

Could instead invest a small bit of that current budget towards a better PSU. The one I linked was based on saving money without sacrificing a minimum standard in build quality.
But there are newer better PSU's to be had for a bit more money.

TRENDING THREADS