[SOLVED] RTX 2070 or RTX 2080

Jan 8, 2019
I presently own a GTX 560 and upgraded my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X with Asus ROG Crosshair 7. I am trying to decide on which card to buy. As a Canadian buyer I get screwed no matter what.

The GTX 1080's are around 900$, the 1080 TI are around 1000$ which compares to a RTX 2070 800$ and RTX 2080 at 1000$. So my question is going from GTX560 to a 2070 at 800$ would it be the way to go or should I scrounge up the extra 200$ and get the RTX 2080. Looking at the EVGA Ultra cards

Solution
Honestly "future proof" is a myth.

Your better option would be a fit-for-purpose GPU now, and an upgrade in time.

For example, while a 2080 *sounds* great today.... RayTracing is new tech, and will mature over time.
Sitting out this round (& next, potentially) and upgrading to the 22XX or 40XX, depending on the naming scheme they go with, might be a better route.

When do you plan to buy a 4K panel? If it's not within the next year, I wouldn't specifically buy hardware with that in mind.

Assuming you currently have a 1080p/60Hz panel?
Given where your current card sits in the equivalent modern product stack, you're only marginally 'better' than a GT1030.

An upgrade at this point, especially for 1080p/60Hz for a casual gamer...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I know how you feel on Canadian pricing. Remember to shop around, and a few sellers will even price-beat (MemoryExpress, for example will beat a given price by 10% of the difference - not huge, but something to consider).

Stepping up from a GTX560 though, either card is going to be an entirely different ballgame alltogether.

What resolution are you playing at? What are you hoping to achieve as far as in-game settings/FPS? And what games?

Given the prices quoted, I'd suggest considering the used market too.
While not ideal, and come with their own pitfalls, a 1080 can be found for <$500 CAD.... 1070TI's regularly sell for ~$400 or less (which, are near enough 1080 performance, for 20% less).

Jan 8, 2019
Hi Barty1884, thanks for the quick reply. Not looking into the used market, I am the kind of guy who always seems to be unlucky and run into issues when I buy used - no matter what item. So I tend to buy new.

I do not have a 4K screen yet, plan too in the future. If I can play at ultra settings then yeah, it wouldn't bother me removing settings to bring it down to a playable level. So I consider myself as being casual gamer.

Tend to play counterstrike, to old classic games on steam (Sierra series) to Battlefield V.

I feel that RTX 2070 would tend to the job not sure it would as future proof as RTX 2080 though.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly "future proof" is a myth.

Your better option would be a fit-for-purpose GPU now, and an upgrade in time.

For example, while a 2080 *sounds* great today.... RayTracing is new tech, and will mature over time.
Sitting out this round (& next, potentially) and upgrading to the 22XX or 40XX, depending on the naming scheme they go with, might be a better route.

When do you plan to buy a 4K panel? If it's not within the next year, I wouldn't specifically buy hardware with that in mind.

Assuming you currently have a 1080p/60Hz panel?
Given where your current card sits in the equivalent modern product stack, you're only marginally 'better' than a GT1030.

An upgrade at this point, especially for 1080p/60Hz for a casual gamer playing CS:GO and older titles, along with newer..... could be achieved with a 1050TI or 1060. Going to be night & day.

It might be worth holding off a little bit and see how much we a 2060 will cost in Canada.
$349 USD for GTX 1070TI/1080 performance levels..... I would expect it'll hit shelves in Canada for ~$500 ($349 USD = $460 CAD today).

For a "casual" gamer, a 1070TI can do playable 4K, so a 2060 should be capable too.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS