ASUS RX Vega 64 ROG Strix OC

OR

HP OMEN G-SynC 2560x1440, 165hz
+
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforc

OR
GTX 1080ti / RTX 2080 with a 1440p - 144hz monitor without G-sync

Which one is best ?

My spec: i5 4690k @ 4,4ghz 16gb ram and 650w psu..

Thank you

Solution

By saving money not going G-Sync, consider also the new Radeon VII (available Feb. 7) which is AMDs competition to the RTX2080. Both handle high frames @ 1440p.

kansaw

Respectable
Jul 23, 2016

By saving money not going G-Sync, consider also the new Radeon VII (available Feb. 7) which is AMDs competition to the RTX2080. Both handle high frames @ 1440p.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

No, FreeSync is a proprietary AMD brand that AMD uses to refer to its end-to-end implementation from driver to display so Nvidia will ever use that name for its Adaptive Sync (the generic VESA standard) support.

Where Nvidia is concerned, Adaptive Sync monitors that have been certified by Nvidia will still get some variant of G-sync branding depending on performance,

InvalidError

Titan

FreeSync may be free for monitor vendors to self-certify against AMD GPUs and APUs (unlike G-Sync which requires Nvidia's blessing and toll) but it is still very much an AMD-specific branding effort tied directly to AMD hardware which makes no sense for anyone else to adopt, which is why only AMD and its monitor partners use it. Everyone else who isn't Nvidia simply calls it by its vendor-neutral industry-standard VESA name: Adaptive Sync.

Those things are synonymous. If a monitor has a Freesync label it is, by default, VESA Adaptive Sync. Freesync is just AMD’s branding of VESA’s standard.

“If a monitor supports the technology – be it labeled VESA Adaptive Sync or AMD FreeSync – then NVIDIA’s cards can finally take advantage of their variable refresh features. Full stop.”

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13797/nvidia-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-with-gsync-compatible-branding

Edit: synonymous from a user perspective of what the monitors label says. Not that I could build a new gpu and label it a Freesync GPU.

InvalidError

Titan

Not quite. The full name from AMD is "Radeon FreeSync" and it stands for AMD or vendor-self-certified monitor compatibility with AMD's Adaptive Sync implementation from drivers to monitor. Adaptive Sync on the other hand is only concerned with the Display Port interface. FreeSync is basically AMD's monitor QVL for its IGPs and GPUs - monitors that should be expected to work properly out of the box with AMD's hardware.

Nvidia claims to have tested 400+ FS/AS monitors while implementing Adaptive Sync for Pascal and Turing but only ~12 of them passed its test suite. So FreeSync branding is no guarantee that those monitors will work properly with Nvidia's GPUs - at the very least not up to Nvidia's standards.

TRENDING THREADS