Question RTX 2070 performing poorly

Aug 30, 2019
Several months ago, I upgraded several components (1440p g-sync monitor, RAM, CPU, GPU and Motherboard) on my aging rig. Everything was wonderful at first, blazing fast in games. I have no idea what happened, but now I can't get stable frames in games to the point where it sometimes unplayable. (Overwatch, Divinity Original Sin 2, Warhammer 2). I've tried lowering graphics settings to the lowest options, no dice. I've gone back and forth extensively with Nvidia tech support. They eventually gave up, escalated me to a "level 2 technician" and I haven't heard from them since despite multiple followups over the past month.

I'll use Overwatch examples since I play this the most. It will usually sit at around 200FPS with nothing happening, but during game it drops constantly down to 50s and 60s, occasionally as low as 30s. I've experimented a TON with the settings trying to see if it was any one particular thing.

I'm not sure exactly what is needed for assistance; I'll start with what is below and can provide whatever you guys need.

Thank you for taking a look!

GPU: RTX 2070 EVGA
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Board: X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F41, 7/22/2019
RAM: 8 Gb Ripjaws DDR4
Power: EVGA 600B
Monitor: AOC G2590FX

Did you recently update your Windows 10 OS copy ? Because, some of the latest patches have been problematic, affecting performance as well. Anyways, what is the GPU and CPU temp value while Gaming ?

Have you tried to rollback the GPU drivers ? Also, try doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers. Use the DDU tool. If need be, also try re-installing the games as well.

Check the Windows OS power plans, as well the "Power Management" mode via NVCP. Set it to prefer maximum/high performance.

Aug 30, 2019
I have re-installed the GPU drivers, this was about 2 months or so ago. And I've re-installed windows, this was about 3 months ago. Changed the power plan to high performance, issue persists.

CPU peak temp in game 125F
GPU peak 136F and 100% utilization

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I had the same problem, my GTX 1070 was under preforming until I did a clean re-install of my Nvidia drivers.

Also is that 1x8gb, or 2x4gb DDR4, if its 1x8 DDR4 then thats one of the problems as single-channel ram underperforms any pc setup e.g. Example
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Also, I recommend after a fresh build alway;
-Monitor your GPU and CPU temp (Recommend HWMONITOR)
-Check for Bios update for compatibility and stability fixes (Your latest FW is F42a)
-If you haven't already, change your controller interface to AHCI located in the bios (Note you have to reinstall your windows or do some reconfiguring in the registry, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not tech-savvy)

Aug 30, 2019
I have a 1X8gb. How is 2X4gb superior? Would it be easier to just buy a second 8gb stick?

Per CPU-Z when idling: 1066 MHz.
I will get the latest BIOS (F42a)
I'll also try to reinstall the GPU drivers again. What is the easiest way to do this?

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I have a 1X8gb. How is 2X4gb superior? Would it be easier to just buy a second 8gb stick?

Per CPU-Z when idling: 1066 MHz.
I will get the latest BIOS (F42a)
I'll also try to reinstall the GPU drivers again. What is the easiest way to do this?

Dual-channel ram doubles the rams bandwidth thus giving more performance to your system. I would definitely save up for another ram stick.

To do a clean reinstall of your gpu drivers Download DDU(https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

You must be in windows safe mode to use this tool. Select "clean and restart", and install the nvidia driver.

Aug 30, 2019
Terribly sorry for the late followup, I was waiting on new RAM to come in. I've got a second stick of identical 8GB Ram now. I've also done the clean reinstall of GPU drivers. Problem still persists.

Aug 30, 2019
So I've got the Ram installed in the correct slots for dual-channel according to the MOBO manual. However, CPU-Z says it's still in single channel. I've restarted a couple of times and tried the other dual-channel configuration to no avail. Am I missing something here?

Power supply is around 5 years old. I'm honestly not sure the exact model of case I have (though the brand is RaidMax), it was a cheapish one from cyberpowerpc 5 years ago.

Aug 30, 2019
Ok ok ok I've got the RAM in dual-channel. I am still getting the bad frame drops, with basically no noticeable improvement. However CPUID shows that the GPU and CPU aren't sitting right at 100% utilization now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
V-sync is disabled in game?

Get Msi Afterburner, if you don't already have it.
Go to Settings > User Interface tab, select one of the Msi Cyborg skins
Go to Monitoring tab, and have ONLY THE FOLLOWING checked:
-Gpu temperature
-Gpu usage
-Core clock
-Memory usage
-Memory clock
-Ram usage
-Power
-Cpu clock
-Cpu temperature
-Framerate Min
-Framerate Avg
-Framerate Max

Set graph columns to either 3 or 4, then hit Apply. Exit Settings.
Click on the DETACH button below the Graphics card and Driver version info. Minimize the main HUD, then stretch out the new graph window to make it easier to see.

Now, with Afterburner graph window sitting on the desktop, launch Overwatch, and try to finish a match. As soon as the match has ended(you aren't able to move the character), Alt-tab out and take a screenshot of the graph window.
Post the image here.