RTX 2070 roc strix

Jan 30, 2019
Hello there

i'm new to Overclocking and could use some input.
my question is, is it normal in MSI afterburner that i can only overclock my rtx 2070 roc strix, 40 mhz on the core before it gets unstable. but i can overclock it 1000 mhz on the memory without any troubles, i overclocked it 100 mhz at a time on the memory and it was still stable at 1000,

is it possible to overclock memory over 1000 ? (afterburner wont go past 1000)
and can someone tell me why my core voltage is grayed out, and not able to adjust. i have checked the core voltage in settings so i should be able to adjust it, but it is still grayed out..
i am running the newest version of msi afterburner that is not the beta one.

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

It is very normal. Graphic cards' overclocking ability is never the same, even if they are the exact same make and model and chipset. Some 2070's can overclock higher than yours.

Now, only +40 Mhz on the core clock seems low but it doesn't mean the card is defective. It was just unfortunate that you didn't receive an excellent unit. With that said, you can still definitely continue using it, because the extra Mhz will just gain you a few more fps in game.

On the memory clock, yes it is also very normal to have +1000 Mhz when overclocking. Most cards can overclock the memory much more than the core clock.

Regarding MSI afterburner, you should use the beta version. Fan control in the other version is kinda bad (or even missing) for the 20 series. Download it and in Setting, unlock voltage control and see if it that allows you to slide the voltage bar left and right.

Jan 30, 2019

Thank you for the response, after i downloaded the beta version and was able to adjust the core voltage, and customize the fan settings, i was able to overclock it 100 mhz on the core, and 1200 mhz on the memory