[SOLVED] RTX 2070 / Ryzen 5 3600X Low Perf

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hi,

So I've searched a bit before and didn't find any advice for this:
When playing games like Monster Hunter World and GTA V Online I'm experiencing extremely poor performances.
In MHW I have around 70-80 fps whether I'm a max low or max high settings for 1080p (for this case my GPU might be a BN for the OCed CPU).
What is extremely weird is that in GTA V I have drops as low as 30-40 fps and the overall fps are around 65-90 (with 130-144 in loading screens) but the GPU usage in task manager says GTAV is using 6 to 8% of the GPU!?? Even in GPU-Z it's not at full power.
For both issues: V-Sync on or off doesn't change anything and my monitor is set at 144Hz both in its OSD and Windows settings. Tweaking with NVIDIA Control Panel and Games profiles does not change so much either.

Asus STRIX RTX 2070 OC 3 fans
Ryzen 5 3600X OCed @ 4.5GHz with Corsair Liquid Cooling
RAM 2x8Go FlareX OCed @ 2900MHz
System on M.2 500Go SSD
EVGA Gold 750W PSU

This should perform better, right? At least in GTA V.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hi sorry for the late answer.

I believe you will find every information you need here: View: https://imgur.com/a/avSWcW0

I was driving in the overworld of GTA Online at high speed when I took these screencaps.
(156-158fps in loading screens, around 80fps while full speed driving with drops, I have a 300mbs up/down 2ms ping internet connection)

Since the original post I resorted to Ryzen Master and XMP: https://valid.x86.fr/z73r0m
Because I believe I need to buy 3600MHz or CL16 RAM to get a stable and consitent x42 or 43 CPU multiplier.

But if your keen eye can detect some possible improvements it'd be more than welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
You're curreent memory speed is absolutely NOT the issue.

That isn't going to solve this problem and would be a waste of your cash!

Anything above 2666mhz is 'fine' for ryzen chips, yes faster memory boosts performance but not to that extent.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
You're curreent memory speed is absolutely NOT the issue.

That isn't going to solve this problem and would be a waste of your cash!

Anything above 2666mhz is 'fine' for ryzen chips, yes faster memory boosts performance but not to that extent.

What do you think is wrong then? GTA Online is a weird case but I don't get past 100fps at best even in Monster Hunter World Iceborne :(

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZu_eFhNUec

Memory speed does make a difference.

Also, OP you should remove any overclocking and compare the differences.

OC got me an extra 10-20 fps I can get 3-5 more by pushing the 2070 to its limit and set the fan speed to 100% but it makes too much noise so it's not worth it in my case.

Maybe it's just that a $1500 desktop pc in the late 2010' is crap? I mean I could probably run 4k@60fps but if I want that the PS5 will be no more than $500 which will not be any close to an RTX 30 series gpu lmao
144Hz is really comfortable for the eyes, but I reach the 90fps sweetspot like 30% of the time :/