[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super buzzing noise after installing nvidia drivers

Dec 15, 2019
Hey! I'm in a weird situation. I've noticed that on my rtx 2070s fe nvidia drivers are causing coilwhine/buzzing noise after installation. It's quiet as a whistle after using ddu to uninstall the drivers, but as soon as I install the nvidia drivers and the screen flashes to black it starts to make buzzing/coilwhine noises. Also the card is quiet as a whistle in when inside bios or when booting up. Any help?

Last edited:
Solution
Drivers from nvidia/AMD when installed, make the GPU run at advertised core clock and memory clock speeds. Windows drivers simply make the card run at the lowest power state/ clocks so it will just display an image to the monitor.

Higher core/memory clocks can and will "push" harder the coils of the GPU which after that MAY whine. It is perfectly normal and it does not affect performance in any way. It's just irritating for most people.

Solutions: There are 2 actually but none is guaranteed to work.
First one is to limit your FPS in games (Gsync, Gsync, etc). While in windows you should not hear it unless you have a video playing or similar work. You can also lower the refresh rate of the monitor.
That is the FEELSBADMAN solution...
Drivers from nvidia/AMD when installed, make the GPU run at advertised core clock and memory clock speeds. Windows drivers simply make the card run at the lowest power state/ clocks so it will just display an image to the monitor.

Higher core/memory clocks can and will "push" harder the coils of the GPU which after that MAY whine. It is perfectly normal and it does not affect performance in any way. It's just irritating for most people.

First one is to limit your FPS in games (Gsync, Gsync, etc). While in windows you should not hear it unless you have a video playing or similar work. You can also lower the refresh rate of the monitor.
That is the FEELSBADMAN solution.

Second one is to RMA the card IF they accept coil whine as a reason for RMA. Then you pray to lady luck and RNGesus for a card without it.
That is the ALL IN solution.

Solution
Dec 15, 2019

That is the FEELSBADMAN solution.

Second one is to RMA the card IF they accept coil whine as a reason for RMA. Then you pray to lady luck and RNGesus for a card without it.
That is the ALL IN solution.
Hey! Thanks for the help, seems like there is not much to do here