Question RTX 2070 Super cooling?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
My founders 2070 super under load hits 70c, 73c is the hottest I have ever seen it with the stock fan profile. If you have a founders 2070 super and it's hitting 80c under load the cooler is capable of better, you likely have poor case airflow. While I wouldn't worry about damaging the card at 80c, GPU boost 3.0 will begin to start lowering clocks more aggressively at that temp which will reduce performance slightly.

Reactions: extreme_noob
My founders 2070 super under load hits 70c, 73c is the hottest I have ever seen it with the stock fan profile. If you have a founders 2070 super and it's hitting 80c under load the cooler is capable of better, you likely have poor case airflow. While I wouldn't worry about damaging the card at 80c, GPU boost 3.0 will begin to start lowering clocks more aggressively at that temp which will reduce performance slightly.
This is true. Most newer GPUs start lowering clocks at around 80C and will start throttling at 85-90C. Case airflow and the setup of fans should also be taken into account.

My evga RTX 2070 XC Gaming stays around 70-75C under load with a +131Mhz core OC and +950 Memory OC but only thanks to a much more aggressive manual fan curve I have set. I believe before the manual fan curve and on stock settings it would be around 70C as well. My case is an NZXT S340 Elite, which is a bit choked off, but I do have two 140mm fans installed at the front.

Aug 10, 2020
Hey folks, I figured I'd give this old post a shot and see if anyone could help me out. I have a similar situation, with the GPU temps rising above 80C under load, causing the system to shut right off. After calibrating my Fan curves and shunting the power pull, I've gotten the GPU temps to stick around 72ish. Still not comfortable with that output.
Anyone have any suggestions for a compatible liquid GPU cooler?
Stats:
DT-CU-0035-CUK-087 Mantis Custom Gaming PC Liquid Cooled Intel i7-9700KF 32GB Ram 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 600W Gold PSU Windows 10
____
MB-GB-0027 Gigabyte Z390 AUROS Elite motherboard
AC-H20-0045 Asetek 550LC Gen4 120mm AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
AC-GPU-239 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
AC-PS-0900 Thermaltake SMART 600W Gold PSU
Update and more info: Installed Open Hardware monitoring so I can see the spikes of temps. CPU (which is liquid cooled) whispers at a steady 30-40 C temp when running GFX intensive games. GPU spikes from idling 30 C quickly to 70-80 C, prolonged operation at that temp shuts it off. --GPU fans operating at 1200-1800x RPMS steadily, with perfomance at 80%. So...bad heat sink on the GFX itself? Should I invest in a GPU cooler mod, like Kraken/CoolMaster etc? If so, which is compatible with the GFX stats above? I'm aware that I could clip/drill NZT cooler brackets to modify it to fit on the card and not rub up against components, but obviously, REEEEALLLY don't want to do that. Rather have a cooler I can mount and plug-in-play to the motherboard. Any tips on installing a GPU dedicated cooler system for a vertically mounted tower setup? Looks like I have plenty of overhead space.
UPDATE: Custom set my Fan curves to help mitigate cooling at higher ramp speeds. Underclocking and pulling back the max temp/power limit (using Afterburner). Helps to maintain the GPU temp around 72-73C...which holds for at least 30mins of gaming perfomance. Still uncomfortable with the heat output. The glass side paneling is hot to the touch, and the top vents are putting out hot air. I figured my air flow would be great with this chasis, but I guess not. So, I guess I'm at the point where I should go ahead and invest in a GPU cooling system. So, any thoughts?

Hey folks, I figured I'd give this old post a shot and see if anyone could help me out. I have a similar situation, with the GPU temps rising above 80C under load, causing the system to shut right off. After calibrating my Fan curves and shunting the power pull, I've gotten the GPU temps to stick around 72ish. Still not comfortable with that output.
Anyone have any suggestions for a compatible liquid GPU cooler?
Stats:
DT-CU-0035-CUK-087 Mantis Custom Gaming PC Liquid Cooled Intel i7-9700KF 32GB Ram 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 600W Gold PSU Windows 10
____
MB-GB-0027 Gigabyte Z390 AUROS Elite motherboard
AC-H20-0045 Asetek 550LC Gen4 120mm AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
AC-GPU-239 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
AC-PS-0900 Thermaltake SMART 600W Gold PSU
Update and more info: Installed Open Hardware monitoring so I can see the spikes of temps. CPU (which is liquid cooled) whispers at a steady 30-40 C temp when running GFX intensive games. GPU spikes from idling 30 C quickly to 70-80 C, prolonged operation at that temp shuts it off. --GPU fans operating at 1200-1800x RPMS steadily, with perfomance at 80%. So...bad heat sink on the GFX itself? Should I invest in a GPU cooler mod, like Kraken/CoolMaster etc? If so, which is compatible with the GFX stats above? I'm aware that I could clip/drill NZT cooler brackets to modify it to fit on the card and not rub up against components, but obviously, REEEEALLLY don't want to do that. Rather have a cooler I can mount and plug-in-play to the motherboard. Any tips on installing a GPU dedicated cooler system for a vertically mounted tower setup? Looks like I have plenty of overhead space.
UPDATE: Custom set my Fan curves to help mitigate cooling at higher ramp speeds. Underclocking and pulling back the max temp/power limit (using Afterburner). Helps to maintain the GPU temp around 72-73C...which holds for at least 30mins of gaming perfomance. Still uncomfortable with the heat output. The glass side paneling is hot to the touch, and the top vents are putting out hot air. I figured my air flow would be great with this chasis, but I guess not. So, I guess I'm at the point where I should go ahead and invest in a GPU cooling system. So, any thoughts?
You should have made a new thread instead of tagging along on this old one. But I'll answer. 72C is perfectly fine for a GPU. The case isnt the greatest for airflow, but its definitely not the worst, especially among prebuilts. And having the glass hot to the touch, or hot air coming out shouldnt really bother you unless it's actually heating up your room. Hot (to the touch) glass doesn't hurt anything. And anyways the heat output will stay the same no matter what cooling solution you have, if you keep your power draw is the same. It's just physics.

If you really insist on getting a better GPU cooler for some reason, the nzxt kraken mounts or arctic VGA coolers should work fine. Or just get a mesh fronted case with good airflow, like the P400A, P300A, Meshify C, etc.