Question RTX 2070 super fan rpm problem

Emmanuel Stefan Farkas

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Hello i just bought a new rtx 2070 super gigabyte windforce oc and i'm having a weird issue when using msi afterburner to manually control fan speed .
I have basically 2 profiles set up 1 for gaming and 1 for desktop the desktop one everything vanilla except fan speed 35%(~1100) that's how i like it and the gaming one some minor oc without touching voltage and 65%(~2100 rpm) fan speed.
Now, when i click my gaming profile the fan acts like 1000 volts goes through it and ramps up instantly even beyond the 2100 rpm then after 2-3 seconds returns and averages around the normal value but that's not the major issue.The issue here is that when i stop playing and turn the desktop profile back on 35% speed (and or below that) and no oc the fan turns on and off constantly with like half or maybe 1 second in between so 0 to 1100 constantly i can hear it also when it stops and speeds up again then stops again etc..The problem completely disappears when i turn it to 40% then it works as intended.
I had a 1070 before this and no problem there so i don't think has something to do with my sistem got a 650 w cx corsair psu an 17 7700k 16 gb 2400 mhz ram
should i worry ? or just let it go.Thanks

Hello i just bought a new rtx 2070 super gigabyte windforce oc and i'm having a weird issue when using msi afterburner to manually control fan speed .
I have basically 2 profiles set up 1 for gaming and 1 for desktop the desktop one everything vanilla except fan speed 35%(~1100) that's how i like it and the gaming one some minor oc without touching voltage and 65%(~2100 rpm) fan speed.
Now, when i click my gaming profile the fan acts like 1000 volts goes through it and ramps up instantly even beyond the 2100 rpm then after 2-3 seconds returns and averages around the normal value but that's not the major issue.The issue here is that when i stop playing and turn the desktop profile back on 35% speed (and or below that) and no oc the fan turns on and off constantly with like half or maybe 1 second in between so 0 to 1100 constantly i can hear it also when it stops and speeds up again then stops again etc..The problem completely disappears when i turn it to 40% then it works as intended.
I had a 1070 before this and no problem there so i don't think has something to do with my sistem got a 650 w cx corsair psu an 17 7700k 16 gb 2400 mhz ram
should i worry ? or just let it go.Thanks
you may want to get a stronger psu 650wat is minimum 650 wat and you still have a cpu to power, mobo, and ssd's'hdd's and even m.2's
\plus whatever else your have in your system.

Emmanuel Stefan Farkas

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
you may want to get a stronger psu 650wat is minimum 650 wat and you still have a cpu to power, mobo, and ssd's'hdd's and even m.2's
Well 650 w its not minimum its the recommended value and even that the manufacturers put much higher values.
Guru3d says this GeForce RTX 2070 Super - On your average system we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit .
And thats recommended not minimum.
Playing metro exodus for the last 4 days no issues so no i don't believe you.

Reactions: thomas4204
That 650 minimum is for the whole system and takes into account lower quality psu’s. A 2070 Super usually doesn’t take more than 250w on its own. A high quality 550w would actually run that system.

Emmanuel Stefan Farkas

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013

Emmanuel Stefan Farkas

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Hmm....after playing some more metro this night and exiting then turning my fan speed at 35,30,25 % it...just works..normally what sorcery is this ? i think this happened either turning below 40% from 0 or turning from 65% or more down to 35 % like i said in first post when i raise the rpm too fast 0-65% it revs violently then settling at normal revs maybe same happens in reverse...it looses too much power when it slows down too fast or too much bcs it just works even at minimum 25% in afterburner...somewhat !
If i turn it to 25% from 0 or from higher % it does the same problem with on/off but if i take it to 40% then slowly turn it down in increments till 25% it works fine...wtf its very buggy.

Jun 25, 2020
i had the same issue with rtx 2070 super gaming oc 3x. however, the problem is solved when I set power management mode to adaptive from NVidia Windows control panel.