[SOLVED] RTX 2070 SUPER & Intel i7-9700K Poor Performance In Benchmarking and Gameplay

muniipanda22

Reputable
Apr 22, 2018
Hi, after noticing low performance during gameplay of BF2042, I decided to test my system and compare it to the results of others, and I'm glad I did.

My performance on Cinebench, 3DMark and FurMark ran below what others reported for the same parts that I'm using, which leads me to be concerned that it might be a cooling issue. At full load in all of the tests, the i7-9700K (Clocked @ 4.6Ghz) shot up to temps of 80+C, but never broke 90. The GPU also spiked in temps, reaching 70-80C and my concern is that it was refurbished from Newegg. I'd noticed subtle drops in frames in other games, but then I noticed poor performance to the point of unplayability in the BF2042 beta even at all low settings in 1440P.

Specs:

Intel Core i7-9700K
RTX 2070 SUPER (Refurbished)
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML120L RGB V2, Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390

3DMark Results: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/23484374

Average 3DMark Score for this system: 9788

I've also seen people hit over 18,000 with this setup though, which is the confusing part.

Any additional details needed I can provide, that's all I can think of right now.

Solution
The 9700K does not thermal throttle until it hits 99.5C, or if you set a lower custom thermal limit in bios.
It could be running at 97C for an entire hour and still give you its max turbo boost the entire time.

Motherboard shouldn't have any trouble with a 9700K.

The 2070 Super, unlike the 9700K, has numerous boost bins depending on factors such as operating temperature and power consumption.
The cooler it runs, the better the boost bins are.
Also, the less frequently it runs into board power limits, equal to better boost bins.
It does not hard throttle until at least 83C.
In 3DMark, the gpu memory clock didn't change at all. If it did, that would've suggested that it wasn't stable.

What you've described so far does not solidify a...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 9700K does not thermal throttle until it hits 99.5C, or if you set a lower custom thermal limit in bios.
It could be running at 97C for an entire hour and still give you its max turbo boost the entire time.

Motherboard shouldn't have any trouble with a 9700K.

The 2070 Super, unlike the 9700K, has numerous boost bins depending on factors such as operating temperature and power consumption.
The cooler it runs, the better the boost bins are.
Also, the less frequently it runs into board power limits, equal to better boost bins.
It does not hard throttle until at least 83C.
In 3DMark, the gpu memory clock didn't change at all. If it did, that would've suggested that it wasn't stable.

What you've described so far does not solidify a thermal problem with the parts above... storage is the only other part, but 'X to doubt' on that one, because the situations are a bit specific:
-Gen 4 NVMes blistering hot controllers need more active cooling.
-Gen 3 NVMes, the controllers can get hot, but it's manageable, unless the chassis airflow is total garbage.
-SATA SSDs, the casing is loose, or it's one of those models with LEDs built in, which was a dumb idea, because it made them run hotter.
-HDDs, normally not a problem, unless chassis airflow is that bad.

Others may be able to point you in the right direction, but so far, it doesn't look like thermals.

Solution