[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super- PC crashing and rebooting

Dec 31, 2019
I just built a new PC and I'm having problems with it crashing the whole system

When I launch a game (TruckersMP/ATS) and alt+tab to desktop my gpu makes a weird noise (assuming its coil whine) and a few seconds later it will completely crash the computer and reboot it. Single-player version of the game doesn't do that, however when disabling V-sync and clicking 'apply' in both multiplayer and single-player, it completely crashes the computer and reboots...
I've tested the only other game that I currently have- modern warfare and I couldn't get it to crash. ATS and MP versions are up-to-date, and never had any problems before or seen any threads with a similar problem

I've updated the bios version, and used DDU to uninstall graphics driver and reinstalled them. Before signing into Geforce Experience I launched TruckersMP and it didn't crash when I alt+tab to desktop, but after signing in it optimized games and afterwards TruckersMP started crashing again.

I've checked GPU temps and power draw using MSI afterburner and everything looks good... It seems as long as I stay in the game, it won't crash, but as soon as I alt+tab I start having problems

I'm not sure if its a problem with drivers, Geforce Experience, not having sufficient power, or the card... But the Graphics card is making serious coil whine noise as soon as I alt+tab to desktop in TruckersMP. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Specs: (Everything purchased NEW)
-Intel Core i7-9700K
-GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA
-G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3200
-SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB SSD
-Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM
-GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD Video Card
-CORSAIR Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM
-Ultra 650watt Power Supply
-Windows 10 professional 64 bit

Nvidia Driver: 441.66

Solution
Well I’m not sure, but I was running an Fx-6350, Gtx 970 before the upgrade and it did good.
125w cpu, gpu depends on the model. Already a significant difference between the 2 cpus.

When you order a 650 watt psu from tiger direct and pay decent amount for it that had one of the '80' ratings you expect it to be good lol... I thought it was a decent psu back then.
It's fine... for a home/office PC. The difference?
Home/office PC: typically low voltage, steady power load = easy for just about any kind of psu to deal with
Gaming PC: constantly fluctuating voltage, power draw would look like a mountain range if you were to put it on a graph = difficult to handle, requires a robust psu; will quickly exhaust less hardy units -...
Dec 31, 2019
My gpu has power indicator lights that are supposed to blink if I have an abnormal power supply and the light only turns on for a second when the pc starts, after that I haven’t noticed it flashing.

When I alt tab out of that game gpu starts making a noise, power indicator lights don’t blink, and will crash shortly after.

I ordered the Ultra 650 watt psu from tiger direct about five-six years ago, never had any issues running on previous build. I ordered a new power supply though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My gpu has power indicator lights that are supposed to blink if I have an abnormal power supply and the light only turns on for a second when the pc starts, after that I haven’t noticed it flashing.
That's normal for POST.
Abnormal power isn't the same as insufficient power.

When I alt tab out of that game gpu starts making a noise, power indicator lights don’t blink, and will crash shortly after.
Sounds like coil whine... unrelated to the crashing though.

I ordered the Ultra 650 watt psu from tiger direct about five-six years ago, never had any issues running on previous build. I ordered a new power supply though.
But your previous build didn't consist of a 200w capable cpu and 240w gpu, did it?

What psu did you order?

Dec 31, 2019
Well I’m not sure, but I was running an Fx-6350, Gtx 970 before the upgrade and it did good. When you order a 650 watt psu from tiger direct and pay decent amount for it that had one of the '80' ratings you expect it to be good lol... I thought it was a decent psu back then.

and here is a link to the new psu I purchased:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...r-850w/p/N82E16817438018?item=N82E16817438018

If this is a power related issue, after about 3 days and 10 crashes what’s the chance of the hardware being ok?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well I’m not sure, but I was running an Fx-6350, Gtx 970 before the upgrade and it did good.
125w cpu, gpu depends on the model. Already a significant difference between the 2 cpus.

When you order a 650 watt psu from tiger direct and pay decent amount for it that had one of the '80' ratings you expect it to be good lol... I thought it was a decent psu back then.
It's fine... for a home/office PC. The difference?
Home/office PC: typically low voltage, steady power load = easy for just about any kind of psu to deal with
Gaming PC: constantly fluctuating voltage, power draw would look like a mountain range if you were to put it on a graph = difficult to handle, requires a robust psu; will quickly exhaust less hardy units - some will literally kill themselves trying.

(y)

If this is a power related issue, after about 3 days and 10 crashes what’s the chance of the hardware being ok?
Depends. That's why troubleshooting is necessary.
If all that's happening is simple crashing, then the hardware should be fine.

Solution
Dec 31, 2019
After installing new psu and adding more ram I have tested it for a few days and have not had any crashes/reboots. But the coil whine is still present. In the mp version of the game it is noticeable when I alt+tab to the desktop in main menus or while in game, and when I disable vsync. Singleplayer only has coil whine when I disable vsync and alt tab while in the main menus. Modern warfare has some slight coil whine as well. I noticed when I disabled vsync now the gpu jumps 10c and the fans kick on high for just a second or two and goes back to normal, with the old psu it would crash when I applied the settings. So I guess it was an issue with not having enough power.. Anyways thanks for the help Phaaze88, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Phaaze88