[SOLVED] RTX 2070 SUPER performing below expectations in gaming

Solution
I played CS:GO just to test if I can run that game on 200+ FPS that I used to on old PC, turns out I cannot.
I already uninstalled it, however I found a few threads about Valorant (my main game) and AMD CPUs bad optimalization like this one:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comments/g3gr7t/low_fps_heavy_fps_drops_ryzen_5_2600x/

I tried Metro: Exodus, on Ultra, RTX on and getting around 100 FPS which is average with this card.

So AMD CPU and Riot games must be the issue, sadly.

I believe you should be able to overclock the 2600 so there is performance to be gained there. As for Riot games and CS:GO they are more favored by Intel CPU's but are still low demanding games...
Try another benchmark, such as Unigine's Heaven or superposition benchmarks. Also make sure you've installed the following:
  • Latest Nvidia drivers
  • GPU-Z
Use GPU-Z to monitor the temps/memory clock speeds/GPU clock speeds and make sure everything is being utilized to 100% (refer to the card's website to see what the normal clock speeds should be).

Also the minimum power supply recommended for the 2070 Super is a 650W, if you don't have that then that could be the issue.

Apr 29, 2020
Try another benchmark, such as Unigine's Heaven or superposition benchmarks. Also make sure you've installed the following:
  • Latest Nvidia drivers
  • GPU-Z
Use GPU-Z to monitor the temps/memory clock speeds/GPU clock speeds and make sure everything is being utilized to 100% (refer to the card's website to see what the normal clock speeds should be).

Also the minimum power supply recommended for the 2070 Super is a 650W, if you don't have that then that could be the issue.
Hi,

thanks a lot for your advice.

I've got newest Nvidia drivers from Geforce Experience app.

My PSU is 700W so that shouldn't be a problem BUT when I tried MSI Overclocking scanner, my GPU OCed to approx +56MHz and dominant limiters were: Power.

I did run Unigine Heaven Benchmark as you recommended, here are the results:
View: https://imgur.com/a/e6jG8I3

GPU max load: 98%
GPU Clock: 1950MHz
Memory clock max: 1750MHz
Temp max: 77°C

I can try reinstalling graphics drivers or whole system but idk if that would help.

Hi,

thanks a lot for your advice.

I've got newest Nvidia drivers from Geforce Experience app.

My PSU is 700W so that shouldn't be a problem BUT when I tried MSI Overclocking scanner, my GPU OCed to approx +56MHz and dominant limiters were: Power.

I did run Unigine Heaven Benchmark as you recommended, here are the results:
View: https://imgur.com/a/e6jG8I3

GPU max load: 98%
GPU Clock: 1950MHz
Memory clock max: 1750MHz
Temp max: 77°C

I can try reinstalling graphics drivers or whole system but idk if that would help.

That power dominant limiter means how high you can overclock the GPU before it demands more power than is safely allowed/stable.

Anyway. that heaven score is pretty good, though you should set the quality to Ultra. The average score should be about 3200. Try again and let me know the result. Also besides userbenchmark score, have you tested out games? Are the FPS lower than other's are reporting with a similar build? Given your heaven benchmark nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Apr 29, 2020
That power dominant limiter means how high you can overclock the GPU before it demands more power than is safely allowed/stable.

Anyway. that heaven score is pretty good, though you should set the quality to Ultra. The average score should be about 3200. Try again and let me know the result. Also besides userbenchmark score, have you tested out games? Are the FPS lower than other's are reporting with a similar build? Given your heaven benchmark nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I've tried the test with Ultra settings and here are the results.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Vs6JvsJ

Also I've tried UserBenchMark again and it turned out to be much better than last time.

UserBenchmarks: Game 85%, Desk 79%, Work 78%

CPU|AMD Ryzen 5 2600|78.7%
GPU|Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super)|106.4%
SSD|Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB|66.6%
HDD|Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016)|57.3%
RAM|Adata DDR4 3000 2OZ 2x8GB|102.8%
MBD|MSI B450M PRO-VDH (MS-7A38)|

I tried to play CS:GO today and I don't think I reached 200 FPS more than 3 times. Watched GPU, CPU and RAM % on second screen and they were all max 50%.

Do you think that having game on HDD instead of SSD might cause the issues?

I've tried the test with Ultra settings and here are the results.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Vs6JvsJ

Also I've tried UserBenchMark again and it turned out to be much better than last time.

UserBenchmarks: Game 85%, Desk 79%, Work 78%

CPU|AMD Ryzen 5 2600|78.7%
GPU|Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super)|106.4%
SSD|Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB|66.6%
HDD|Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016)|57.3%
RAM|Adata DDR4 3000 2OZ 2x8GB|102.8%
MBD|MSI B450M PRO-VDH (MS-7A38)|

I tried to play CS:GO today and I don't think I reached 200 FPS more than 3 times. Watched GPU, CPU and RAM % on second screen and they were all max 50%.

Do you think that having game on HDD instead of SSD might cause the issues?

That score looks a little below average but it's around margin of error so it's fine.
Having the game on the HDD shouldn't be the problem, the issue is with CSGO.

Try following this thread:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/a4d68z/only_185_fps_average_on_a_ryzen_5_2600/

There are a couple of actions to take from this thread: overclocking your CPU or there could possibly be a file in cs:go game directory that needs correction. Take a look and troubleshoot on your end. CS:GO doesn't rely that much on the GPU so 50% utilization sounds about right as well as 50% CPU, it's not that intensive of a game. A real test of your GPU would be on AAA titles like tomb raider, battlefield, gears of war, GTA V, etc.

Apr 29, 2020
That score looks a little below average but it's around margin of error so it's fine.
Having the game on the HDD shouldn't be the problem, the issue is with CSGO.

Try following this thread:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/a4d68z/only_185_fps_average_on_a_ryzen_5_2600/

There are a couple of actions to take from this thread: overclocking your CPU or there could possibly be a file in cs:go game directory that needs correction. Take a look and troubleshoot on your end. CS:GO doesn't rely that much on the GPU so 50% utilization sounds about right as well as 50% CPU, it's not that intensive of a game. A real test of your GPU would be on AAA titles like tomb raider, battlefield, gears of war, GTA V, etc.

I played CS:GO just to test if I can run that game on 200+ FPS that I used to on old PC, turns out I cannot.
I already uninstalled it, however I found a few threads about Valorant (my main game) and AMD CPUs bad optimalization like this one:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comments/g3gr7t/low_fps_heavy_fps_drops_ryzen_5_2600x/

I tried Metro: Exodus, on Ultra, RTX on and getting around 100 FPS which is average with this card.

I believe you should be able to overclock the 2600 so there is performance to be gained there. As for Riot games and CS:GO they are more favored by Intel CPU's but are still low demanding games so you should still be getting high FPS. Unless you have a 240Hz monitor I don't believe you should be affected by the FPS drops and even then it's hard to distinguish between 144Hz and 240Hz.

But the good news at least is that none of your components are performing below their marketted specs. You can always overclock either the CPU and GPU to squeeze out a little free performance.

Solution
Apr 29, 2020
I believe you should be able to overclock the 2600 so there is performance to be gained there. As for Riot games and CS:GO they are more favored by Intel CPU's but are still low demanding games so you should still be getting high FPS. Unless you have a 240Hz monitor I don't believe you should be affected by the FPS drops and even then it's hard to distinguish between 144Hz and 240Hz.

But the good news at least is that none of your components are performing below their marketted specs. You can always overclock either the CPU and GPU to squeeze out a little free performance.

I do have 240Hz monitor! :D
That's why I'm handling this, my PC should run those games on few hundred FPS easily because everyone can run them.
Atleast I get more FPS in new AAA title :)

I overclocked my CPU from 3,4GHz to 3,9GHz which should be fine - its base turbo OC.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Newtonius