[SOLVED] Rtx 2070 super question

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
Hey guys so my rtx 2070 super asus evo just arrived but my new psu 750w corsair rmx hasnt yet.Should i try the gpu on my current 630w thermaltake se smart or is it not a safe move?

Solution
Sorry i didnt quite get that.So you mean i shouldnt use the new psu's cables but keep the old ones?

Remove old cables. Only use cables the Corsair psu comes with. Cables powering drives, gpu, motherboard and cpu, any cable you physically plug into the psu (modular), replace those with the new cables.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should hint as well, seeing your current psu is semi modular. Any modular cable used to power components will have to be replaced with Corsair's own cables.

Modular cables seem convenient and wish they were but sadly not and many people have fried parts because of it. The industry isn't uniformed and power/ground wires and how they're connected aren't always positioned the same so best keep to the original cables psu's come with.

Last edited:

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
Should hint as well, seeing your current psu is semi modular. Any modular cable used to power components will have to be replaced with Corsair's own cables.

Modular cables seem convenient and wish they were but sadly not and many people have fried parts because of it. The industry isn't uniformed and power/ground wires and how they're connected aren't always positioned the same so best keep to the original cables psu's come with.
Sorry i didnt quite get that.So you mean i shouldnt use the new psu's cables but keep the old ones?

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
Remove old cables. Only use cables the Corsair psu comes with. Cables powering drives, gpu, motherboard and cpu, any cable you physically plug into the psu (modular), replace those with the new cables.
Ill replace everything of course my only problem was if i could put the gpu with my old thermaltake psu until the new one comes.Thnx for the help

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome.

Yeah, as said previously, your current psu will do the job. Was just giving extra advice is all. You'd be surprised how many people make the mistake mixing psu cables and destroying their computer. Didn't want that happening to you so thought to mention it before the new psu arrives.

Reactions: kostask5