Question Rtx 2070 Underperforming please help

Jun 13, 2019
Hello fellow users,

I came across a problem with my newly built pc. I upgraded from a i5 4690k to a ryzen 5 2600 and yes I know the i5 4690k will bottleneck my gpu. I just didn’t know that during that time. When I play fortnite creative mode (basically a game where you can make anything thing you want in your fortnite island. It also gives you a lot of fps) I get over 400 fps, but when I go into the battle Royale game mode I get around 160-300 max but when it comes to build fights and end games it can get really laggy (I’m a fortnite pro player so when I say end game I mean around 40 people in a tiny circle). Anyways, I get around 90 fps and sometimes even 60 using around 23% of my gpu endgame. Keep in mind that I play on all LOW/OFF settings. It can be really aggravating when I’m trying to eliminate other players. And also no I am not bottlenecking, I am using around 30% cpu usage while my gpu is around 50%.

Here are my specs:

Rtx 2070 gaming z

Ryzen 5 2600 (3.9 ghz)

16 ddr4 ram 2400mghz

B450 tomahawk motherboard

240 ssd (which had fortnite downloaded in)

600 watt psu

1 tb hard drive

Really hope you guys can help me! If you have any solutions or suggestions please reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Hello fellow users,

I came across a problem with my newly built pc. I upgraded from a i5 4690k to a ryzen 5 2600 and yes I know the i5 4690k will bottleneck my gpu. I just didn’t know that during that time. When I play fortnite creative mode (basically a game where you can make anything thing you want in your fortnite island. It also gives you a lot of fps) I get over 400 fps, but when I go into the battle Royale game mode I get around 160-300 max but when it comes to build fights and end games it can get really laggy (I’m a fortnite pro player so when I say end game I mean around 40 people in a tiny circle). Anyways, I get around 90 fps and sometimes even 60 using around 23% of my gpu endgame. Keep in mind that I play on all LOW/OFF settings. It can be really aggravating when I’m trying to eliminate other players. And also no I am not bottlenecking, I am using around 30% cpu usage while my gpu is around 50%.

Here are my specs:

Rtx 2070 gaming z

Ryzen 5 2600 (3.9 ghz)

16 ddr4 ram 2400mghz

B450 tomahawk motherboard

240 ssd (which had fortnite downloaded in)

600 watt psu

1 tb hard drive

Really hope you guys can help me! If you have any solutions or suggestions please reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Yeah the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.

You have choices.

Either change your graphics settings to much higher to bring down the Frame rates putting more on the GPU, get a new monitor, 1440P and play at 1440P.

Or build a new system using an Intel CPU (8700K or better) as Ryzen isn't all that great at 1080P with the higher end GPU's, lowering the settings makes it worse. The lower the settings the worse the bottleneck will be.

It's a very well know problem that's been well documented all over the internet in reviews and videos etc.

You made the wrong platform choice for what you are doing, that is the bottom line.

That might change once the new AMD stuff out, nobody knows at this point however.

Upgrading the CPU to a 2700X might help a little, but it will still bottleneck.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019
Sorry, I’m not sure if this is correct but shouldn’t the cpu being maxed out on usage? That what was happening on my i5 4690k but now my ryzen 5 2600 is only using 30% usage.