[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Underperforming

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
Ive already had a similar thread where the main problem was really the CPU temp, back then the fps in like bf5 and r6s and GTA5 was half what it should be with my specs in 1080p, the problem was that the latch on the heat sink was not actually locked, Its now fixed, I also did a clean installation, after the fix, of windows and the cpu temps in games doesnt go anywhere above 65C with the exception of some heat spikes ( measured with Ryzen Master), so thats good news, but heres the problem, bf5 is still running the same fps which is about 60-80 with frequent stuttering and frame drops, also whats weird is that when I change the graphics settings from low to ultra, theres practically no difference in fps, also there seems to be some graphics problem where the textures seem to artifact between high quality and low, thats just bf5 tho. Now, whats confusing me is that now Ive installed overwatch after reinstalling windows and it is actually running as should with 130fps on epic setting, no problems with it there. And now for the weirdest part, Siege is really confusing, when I installed the game, I just launched it, set the settings to ultra (which automatically makes the render resolution of 1440p) and it very surprisingly gave an average result of 190fps average, which made me really happy because it meant that the only problematic game is bf5, BUT when I did the render again, this time ultra but with the render resolution of 4k, the fps dipped to about 60fps I think, it was confusing, but then I did the normal 1440p ultra benchmark, the fps went down in half! it gave an average of 90fps ish, and after that no matter what settings I tried, even low with 1080p render, the closest it got to was obout 140fps, and the same was in game. So now i dont really know what to do, and now that I remember, I think one of my first games in bf5 after reinstalling it on the new windows actually performed better, like about 100fps and about no stuttering, so Im now thinking that maybe its something to do with the game after installing it and then after a bit the fps just goes much lower? Im now reinstalling siege which should be done for tomorrow and im going to try the ultra benchmark again to see if it gets 190fps hopefully, but rn im up for any suggestions if u want me to do some other cpu or gpu benchmarks.
Also wanted to mention some other few little things, 1, whilst playing bf5 for example, task manager says that I only use up to about 50% cpu, max of about 60% gpu and 70% RAM, dont really know if thats normal. 2, before reinstalling windows, a week before I got a bug where when I startup the date and time skips like 4 months exactly forwards which is reset by turning auto date and time on and off, but happens every time I start up windows which also can happen some times randomly when im on the pc a few hours later, and it actually is still here even after reinstalling windows, its pretty annoying, and I couldnt really find any answers for it. 3, someone prviously mentioned that the performance issues could be due to by low spec RAM (I had it on my old pc and used it for this new one), but im not sure is RAM could be responsible for cutting my fps in half.
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI Armour RTX 2070
Sandisk PLUS 480GB SSD
MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Kingston HyperX 2133 8GB RAM
Corsair VS650 PSU

Solution
Modern games what fast processors more than more cores. Of course, you want a minimum of 4 and 6 or more is better. But high clock rates for processors is still one of the most important things for gaming, when it comes to high frame rates. Especially Battlefield needs system ram. The recommended ram for the last few Battlefield games (incl. 5) was and is 16GB. If you don't have enough ram, you might experience stuttering. Your system specs are fine, but the ram is not enough for this system. Its your bottleneck. But good news....RAM pricing a falling!!! Make sure you get 16GB with two dimms (both dimms need to be the exact same and put them in the second and fourth slot of your mainboard).

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016
It very well could be ram related. The stuttering you are experiencing is most likely caused by your system running out of memory. 16gb is recommended for new games. The 2133 MHz ram is also limiting your CPU. 3000 MHz and above are recommended. Also are you running the RAM in dual Channel? Meaning 2 RAM sticks in the correct slots on the motherboard?

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
Ok, if RAM is the problem which is halfing my frames then how did I get 190fps on my first siege benchmark, considering that it was on ultra, but I cant even get close to that on low settings?

Well that's your problem. With only a single stick of ram you are in single channel mode which really affects performance. You need to purchase a 2x8gb RAM kit in minimum 3000mhz.

No benchmarks needed to prove the issue. It IS the issue. Or at least a major part of the problem.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Modern games what fast processors more than more cores. Of course, you want a minimum of 4 and 6 or more is better. But high clock rates for processors is still one of the most important things for gaming, when it comes to high frame rates. Especially Battlefield needs system ram. The recommended ram for the last few Battlefield games (incl. 5) was and is 16GB. If you don't have enough ram, you might experience stuttering. Your system specs are fine, but the ram is not enough for this system. Its your bottleneck. But good news....RAM pricing a falling!!! Make sure you get 16GB with two dimms (both dimms need to be the exact same and put them in the second and fourth slot of your mainboard).

Solution

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks, so that would explain why a less consumptious game like overwatch would actually play normally. So what about buying RAM, does the branding really matter, like are all 3000/3200 ram sticks the same performance no matter where u buy them, also for my system, would a 3200mhz be more reccomended than 3000 or does it not matter?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
you need the SAME....Brand, number, type, clock, timings.....everything! Otherwise the dual channel most likely will not work. Thats why they sell them in kits. But, if you can get exactly the ram you have, same brand, item no. etc. than that should be fine.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
in terms of ram speed: you won't notice the difference in gaming between a 3000mhz vs 3200mhz ram....that is really for hardcore enthusiasts. also, in order to take advantage of the higher clock speeds you need to overclock the ram (extreme memory profile bios settings). Otherwise it will run in the base speed of your processor/motherboard.

But in order to run dual channel both your dims need to be the same. You can buy a kit of 2x 8GB DDR for under $100 right now. that's pretty good. less than a year ago you had to pay double.

amasko57

Proper
Dec 26, 2018
I know about the need for same clocks and all that, thanks. Btw, where the hell did you find 2x8gb 3000mhz for under $100?the minimum I could find it for is £110

May 4, 2020
I have 16GB of single channel RAM on my ZEPHYRUS GU502GV laptop and I get random FPS drops, could this also be the reason why I’m having these FPS drops?

TRENDING THREADS