Question RTX 2070 underperforming

May 2, 2019
Hello all,

I got a brand new bundle PC, migrated my old HDD to the new SSD, latest drivers, Windows 10 etc. Ran a couple benchmarks - my GPU is seriously underperforming, while all other components are just fine. Here are the raw UserBenchMark results:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 116.1%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 - 92.8%
SSD: WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 500GB - 131.1%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB - 15.1%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB - 8%
RAM: Unknown TEAMGROUP-UD4-3000 2x8GB - 97.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z390 UD

The results indicated the graphics card was "performing way below expectations (6th percentile). Similarly 3D Mark gave me a score of 8452 on Time Spy 1.0. Others online have posted 3D Mark results with the same GPU, CPU, and RAM combination, with a much higher score, e.g. 10088.

I've contacted the company that assembled the bundle, but I was wondering if anyone on here can help me figure out why this is happening, and how to fix it!?

P.S. Here is the PSU spec: Kolink KL-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply

Here is the PSU spec: Kolink KL-600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply

Don't use this particular PSU MODEL to power up the RTX 2070. This is not a very high quality power supply unit. Using this with the RTX GPU can also be problematic in the long run. Grab some other high quality upper TIER PSU.

Never SKIMP on the PSU, since this is the most important component. I think this particular unit's OEM is HEC, which is not a very good manufacturer. Kolink's other power supplies are manufactured by "Sirtek". I suspect your current power supply is unable to provide that much power to the GPU.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
Fair enough. That's a bit disheartening as the bundle manufacturers seemed to think this PSU would be adequate for the rig. Is there any way to alter the PSU settings to adequately power the GPU!?

Also, can this alone really be responsible for the poor performance?

Perhaps a better question for me to ask is how can I prove that it's the PSU throttling the GPU? This would help with me justifying returning the bundle to the supplier

Last edited:
Also, can this alone really be responsible for the poor performance?

It can be, but we are just making a guess here. Poor performance can be caused due to a weak PSU, if it is unable to provide sufficient juice to the GPU. Cant you just replace the PSU from the manufacturer, for some other unit. Is it possible ?

Most of the manufacturers actually skimp on the PSU part, which is common with prebuilt systems.

May 2, 2019
It would be helpful to evidence that the PSU isn't up to snuff so they are obliged to upgrade it... Irritatingly I can't just replace it myself, as they way the tower has been built there is a metal casing around the PSU (presumably to cover up the "ugly" cables) that seems impossible to remove without potentially damaging it.

Is there software that could show the GPU is being impacted by the PSU?

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
As the others above said, that PSU is notoriously suspicious. 600W is enough for a RTX 2070 but something in the range of 80+ gold with a known decent brand. What's the CPU and GPU temps while on load ? In the meantime, you could try a few things.
  • Flash the mobo to the latest bios
  • Try the card on a different pcie slot
  • Try an older Game Ready driver

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
That psu only claims 450w on the 12v rail which is what a good quality 450w psu can deliver. That 600w label is very misleading. However the only way to prove the psu is then problem is to try a decent psu.

However you say you migrated your old HDD to the new SSD, did this include your old install of Windows? If yes then you must reinstall Windows, you shouldn’t transfer it from one pc to another.

May 2, 2019
That psu only claims 450w on the 12v rail which is what a good quality 450w psu can deliver. That 600w label is very misleading. However the only way to prove the psu is then problem is to try a decent psu.

However you say you migrated your old HDD to the new SSD, did this include your old install of Windows? If yes then you must reinstall Windows, you shouldn’t transfer it from one pc to another.

Thanks, I'm now speaking to the company who assembled the rig, as the PSU was chosen by them for the build...

When you say reinstall Windows, do you mean a clean install wiping the drive!?

May 2, 2019
Yes, wiping and clean install.

Ok, so clean install, latest drivers etc. done.

Still same problem... :( Performance in R6 Siege is horrible, and other games low FPS relative to public benchmarks also, albeit less severe gap (Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

I've now run Valley Benchmark if anyone is interested. I get the following:

FPS: 106.8
Score: 4467
Min FPS: 21.8
Max FPS: 207.4

Ok, so clean install, latest drivers etc. done.

Still same problem... :( Performance in R6 Siege is horrible, and other games low FPS relative to public benchmarks also, albeit less severe gap (Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

I've now run Valley Benchmark if anyone is interested. I get the following:

FPS: 106.8
Score: 4467
Min FPS: 21.8
Max FPS: 207.4

Ok what are the cpu & gpu temperatures when in game? What are the usages?

Still psu seems likely but trying to rule out other possibilities.

May 2, 2019
Ok what are the cpu & gpu temperatures when in game? What are the usages?

Still psu seems likely but trying to rule out other possibilities.

CPU & GPU temps and power usage are all fine according to GPU-Z and CoreTemp. This presumably means that the PSU is not likely affecting performance when GPU is under heavy load?

I've been asking around on other forums and it seems my card's performance falls within a margin of error for other 2070's, so perhaps I'm exaggerating the poor performance of my card? I'm just irritated that mine appears to consistently get 10-20FPS below most benchmarks I have seen of non-overclocked 2070s.

You'd want to be certain you've installed all appropriate and latest chipset drivers correct for your mainboard , and GPU software/driver package from NVIDIA (I've never had an issue with default Express install)

(Certainly, you'd want to double check your monitor was connected to the GPU, and not to integrated video out, etc...; I did it myself once, wondering for 15-20 minutes why my performance tanked so quickly!)

I'm just irritated that mine appears to consistently get 10-20FPS below most benchmarks I have seen of non-overclocked 2070s.

Why are you overlooking your current PSU ? Like I mentioned before, the Kolink KL-600M 600W is not a very good and reliable unit. Don't skimp on the power supply. Maybe I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I still think you should consider replacing your PSU..

Can't you test your PC by using some other PSU ?

May 2, 2019
Why are you overlooking your current PSU ? Like I mentioned before, the Kolink KL-600M 600W is not a very good and reliable unit. Don't skimp on the power supply. Maybe I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I still think you should consider replacing your PSU..

Can't you test your PC by using some other PSU ?

Unfortunately I don't have access to another PSU, but am in the process of hassling the retailer who assembled the bundled rig for an upgrade!

I am curious though how the PSU could affect performance, i.e. what would I need to look out for during benchmarking? During a GPU-Z render test, the Per Cap reason is more often than not VRel (voltage reliability). Would this be evidence of the PSU impacting performance?

May 2, 2019
Hi, as a follow-up, I decided to do a full reinstall of Windows wiping all personal files etc. and that fixed the issue (previously I'd reinstalled but keeping files).

I'm now getting much higher FPS across the board. I don't know if this meant the issue was driver conflict or just that my old Windows had become bloated in some way, but I've created a system restore point since everything is running well now!

Thank you all for your help, and I haven't forgotten about the fact that the PSU is crap!