Question RTX 2070 Vs GTX 1080

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I have an Nvidia Founders Edition GTX 1080, I am happy with it. I got some extra cash to spend on a upgrade but not tons of extra cash to justify the massively overpriced 2080 or 2080ti. Is the upgrade from my current GTX 1080 to the RTX 2070 worth it? Some of the reviews and benchmarks I have seen so far looks like the GTX 1080 actually performs better at higher resolutions and handles AA better??

What are the rest of your system specs? Maybe there are other areas where an upgrade or simply higher quality part might actually offer some significant benefits in performance, stability or longevity. I understand the itch. I get it often. I've got it now, but there simply isn't a platform offering something compelling beyond what I already have. Waiting to see what the next Intel and AMD releases with PCIe 4.0 look like and how they review. Might do something at that time, might not.

Seriously considering replacing my 16GB of 3000mhz Trident Z CL15 memory with 32GB of 3200mhz CL14, because, the itch.

That's exactly why (Well, not EXACTLY) I always prefer to run the full capacity, when possible, using only two sticks, rather than four. It's a lot less stressful, electrically, on the motherboard and memory controller/CPU, running two sticks versus running four. Half actually/obviously. Two sticks at 1.35v or whatever your configuration is, will be a lot less telling on the system over time than four sticks at that rating, regardless of whether the platform technically supports it or not.

Did you try the sticks in another machine, or by themselves in the A2 and B2 slots without the other sticks installed?

Maybe put that money there then, in a new memory kit. Or, depending on what PSU you're running, treating your system to a higher quality power supply might be a good idea especially if you may make a jump to a higher tiered graphics card in the future.

Maybe a sleeved cable set if you're into the aesthetic aspect of things, or a new house for the whole works? LOL.

M.2 PCI SSD? Probably these are all better purchases than going from 1080 to 2070, again, unless you actually want or need the RTX, which IMO sucks and isn't going to offer anything worthwhile for probably several generations, if they ever get it worked out properly.

Probably going to require not just changes to drivers and frameworks, but also to Windows as well. Everybody needs to be on the same page, and right now, they really aren't.