[SOLVED] RTX 2070 vs P2000 for CAD?

Hi all,

I'm an engineer for an Environmental Company and I'm trying to build myself a PC at home that can compute some of the stuff from work.

This is the build I've come up with:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.65 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($203.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-06 ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair LL140 RGB LED (TwoFans With Lighting Node PRO) 51.5 CFM 140 mm Fans ($86.70 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1665.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-05 03:43 EDT-0400

Notes:
  • Strictly built for the purpose of using CAD, rendering and other type of rendering software. We're not a multinational company but I still require something somewhat solid.
  • I got the all the software including OS covered.
  • X470 will be updated to support the 3rd Gen Ryzen.
  • Will overclock the CPU as much as possible but only as much as needed.
Questions:
  1. Which GPU would be more beneficial for mainly CAD work from the two I posted?
  2. Should I consider dropping the CPU to an 8-core 3rd Gen Ryzen to go for a better GPU?
  3. Will I even benefit for more cores at this point apart from faster rendering times?
  4. How important is the RAM in this scenario or could I drop to 16Gb?
  5. Are X470 motherboards even able to support quad-channel at this point?
Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
General answer: depends heavily on the renderer. Decide on the rendering software, read about it's hardware priorities.

For Maya:
While editing meshes in your viewport, GPU power can be very important, however when rendering Maya uses CPU and RAM power.
I would still recommend a decent dedicated GPU, but don't hesitate to put a bit more money towards your cpu and RAM.

1. The RTX 2070 is much better. But keep in mind you can opt for a cheaper GPU like 1660ti, or rtx 2060 if using CPU heavy renderer.
  2. No
  3. What other benefit could it be?
  4. Get 32GB.
  5. No
Rendering software is different, in use of GPU vs CPU. That's what you should decide beforehand unless you're up to building an overall powerfull (or average) system.
General answer: depends heavily on the renderer. Decide on the rendering software, read about it's hardware priorities.

For Maya:
While editing meshes in your viewport, GPU power can be very important, however when rendering Maya uses CPU and RAM power.
I would still recommend a decent dedicated GPU, but don't hesitate to put a bit more money towards your cpu and RAM.

1. The RTX 2070 is much better. But keep in mind you can opt for a cheaper GPU like 1660ti, or rtx 2060 if using CPU heavy renderer.
  2. No
  4. Get 32GB.
  5. No
Rendering software is different, in use of GPU vs CPU. That's what you should decide beforehand unless you're up to building an overall powerfull (or average) system.

Solution

For Maya:

2. No
  4. Get 32GB.
  5. No

Thanks for you reply man, I appreciate it.

If i'm aiming on having something that's somewhat balanced between the two. Would you say that the build I posted can be considered as a "decent" all-rounder between CPU and GPU performance? At this point, it's too early for me to tell what we'll be using in the future and I personally use (currently) mostly CAD so I would prefer aiming for some sort of balance as you've suggested.

I also heard that the technology form Quadro cards brings more accuracy in 3D modeling. Wouldn't you strongly advise to go for this (I'm simply trying to understand your decision of RTX 2070 > P2000 because the P4000 is out of my budget at this point in time).

Thanks for you reply man, I appreciate it.

If i'm aiming on having something that's somewhat balanced between the two. Would you say that the build I posted can be considered as a "decent" all-rounder between CPU and GPU performance? At this point, it's too early for me to tell what we'll be using in the future and I personally use (currently) mostly CAD so I would prefer aiming for some sort of balance as you've suggested.

I also heard that the technology form Quadro cards brings more accuracy in 3D modeling. Wouldn't you strongly advise to go for this (I'm simply trying to understand your decision of RTX 2070 > P2000 because the P4000 is out of my budget at this point in time).
It's 100% decent build.

You could have been misled by something titled as double-precision performance. Which means "Double-precision floating-point" performance (=TFLOPS), a performance in calculating certain numbers/values, which is a strong point in professional cards. And 2070 is better in that than the 2 year old junior ligue P2000. There is no such thing as accuracy differency for GPUs.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-Quadro-P2000/4029vsm257811

Take a look at AMD too, AMD cards are actually very good and affordable. RX Vega 64 actually comes very close to P5000, and beats it in some applications.

And watch a quick general comparison video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVqIOITdmM

Look up other videos on RTX 2070 or AMD performance for rendering

Last edited:
It's 100% decent build.

You could have been misled by something titled as double-precision performance. Which means "Double-precision floating-point" performance (=TFLOPS), a performance in calculating certain numbers/values, which is a strong point in professional cards. And 2070 is better in that than the 2 year old junior ligue P2000. There is no such thing as accuracy differency for GPUs.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-Quadro-P2000/4029vsm257811

Take a look at AMD too, AMD cards are actually very good and affordable. RX Vega 64 actually comes very close to P5000, and beats it in some applications.

And watch a quick general comparison video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVqIOITdmM

Look up other videos on RTX 2070 or AMD performance for rendering

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it. I'll explore the alternatives you suggested and see if I like it.

Have a good day.