RTX 2070 with i5 4690K

Stepmania43

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
i wanted to now how the new RTX 2070 would go on my i5 4690k. i play my games at 144hz 1080p. most of the time at competetive games at the lowest settings. on most games like on AAA Titles i dont care to have 144 FPS. Should i get an i7 4790k with the new rtx 2070? i cant afford and dont want to build a new pc.

My Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz
CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM650 650W
SSD: Samsung SSD 256GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB

I would certainly use the i5-4690K on all my games to see how it does. I think for the most part it will be okay, with some games falling below 60fps. You didn't list your motherboard, can you overclock? Even then you will benefit from an i7-4790K, which should be worth it if you find a decent deal on eBay.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the i7 will only help if you have a game that uses more than 4 threads and/or you plan on streaming or doing other work while gaming. otherwise you'll get the same performance in game as the 4690k. in other words, unless you find one really cheap, it's likely not worth doing.

overall, fps is mostly dictated by the cpu while resolution and eye candy is dictated by the gpu. so the 2070 will likely allow for better eye candy but should not have any major impact on fps at 1080p. your cpu is the limiting factor there. sticking with the 4690k is not a bad idea so long as you understand and accept the limitations of the cpu.

note: i am also still rocking a 4690k @4.2 ghz and have no plans either on upgrading the system anytime soon. gpu upgrade is coming for me as well as my old 280 is showing it's age a good bit, but the core of the system is still good to go.

Stepmania43

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Oh im sorry i got a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 as Motherboard. So yeah i can overclock. I already looked into it but dont know how much ghz i can overclock.

With a Hyper 212 I'd say between 4.4-4.6GHz.

A lot of games today use up to 8 CPU threads and can benefit from the i7. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't play very many newer AAA games.

Assassin's Creed Unity, Syndicate, Origins, & Odyssey
Battlefield 1 & V
GTA V
PUBG
Ghost Recon Wildlands
The Division

and those are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

nice i happen to also have the gaming 5 mobo and the evo cooler. i easily hit 4.2 ghz on mine with just the oc button on the mobo software. nothing manual at all for me. just clicked the oc button and let it do what it wanted to :) should be easy enough to hit the same or slightly higher clocks. nothing massive or record setting but nice to use the oc features you paid for

Stepmania43

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

So its safe to click the OC Button in the Bios? Well good to know thanks!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yup plenty safe. think i did it through the MSI software but amounts to the same thing. believe i first clicked "safe" oc mode which got it to about 4 ghz. then went back and clicked the second option. if i recall right, there is still a 3rd option i have not clicked yet. my chip runs below 60 degrees at all times. but i have a big case with a ton of air flow so your mileage may vary on the evo 212.

Stepmania43

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

So i could get it, but if i want to have better performance i should get an i7 4790k?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if the games you play can use the extra threads, then an i7 would help. if they do not use more than the 4 cores you got now, then it won't make any difference.

extra threads/cores are great if the game/program can use them. otherwise they sit there idle doing nothing. look into the games you play and see how many threads they can handle.

Stepmania43

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

ok thanks. It seems that most of my games uses 4 cores/threads. For the Games i play now i guess the RTX 2070 would be good enough. For Future Games i think i should consider to get a i7 because of the Hyperthreading Feature. And i can also OC my i5 at this point and look how well it goes with the new RTX 2070.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not many take advantage of more than 4 threads. that's why the i5 has long been the sweet spot for gaming. now the i5 has 6 cores which is more than enough really.

but if you don't wish to upgrade the core of the system, then an i7-4790 will boost the other stuff you may have running while in game. never hurts to have a bit more power than needed. keep in mind HT is not the same as a whole other core. it is simply a way to optimize the 4 cores that are there and forcing them to work as close to 100% as possible. a true core will outperform a HT thread any day and by a lot.

Stepmania43

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

ok i keep that in mind. So my Solution is actually now to get the RTX 2070 and pair it with a i7 4790K if possible. otherwise i stick to the i5 4690K.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yup. i've seen some decent prices on 4790k's around. folks upgrading to the newer cpu's often sell them used for dirt cheap. i've seen em used for $50-75 but that is the exception. $125+ is pretty normal for a used one.

new ones can be had for about $150-175 if you get lucky. but $200 or more is normal from what i've seen.

I just checked and prices haven't changed on used i7-4790Ks. They go for $200+ used. You must be thinking of the i7-3770K.

Even with my previous i7-7700K + 1080 Ti at 1440p I was seeing 99% CPU usage in AC Odyssey at times. Don't get me wrong it was doing great, but there was very little room left for multi-tasking while playing a lot of games. I would suggest holding out for the whole platform upgrade to a 6 or 8-core CPU.