Question RTX 2070s DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_* in Apex

Nov 29, 2019
I've built myself a new rig 2 weeks ago, everything's new (most delivered from computeruniverse, some bought in local store):
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
CPU: i7 9700K (not overclocked, 3.6 GHz)
GPU: Asus RTX 2070s dual evo
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x8 GB DDR4 3200 C16
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Latest drivers and OS updates.

I mostly play Apex Legends these days, so that's where I started noticing some problems. My old rig had GTX 970 and I had like 0 problems with Apex at all. On new rig, however, I sometimes get DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG or DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. No weird sounds or graphics artifacts, the game just stops and shows popup with this error.
0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.

0x887A0005 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a driver upgrade for the video card has occured. The application should destroy and recreate the device. For help debugging the problem, call ID3D10Device::GetDeviceRemovedReason.

First time I got this, I immediately looked into Device Manager and it showed the card as usual. I can start the game right after I get the error, it goes completely fine. I tried to record some temperature/voltage information using Gigabyte's System Information Viewer utility, and I don't see any weird changes at the moment of the error.

I've played a couple other games (the Talos Principle and Black Mesa) on this rig without any issues (though I guess these games are not really heavy). Also ran UserBenchmark without any problems.

I think this could be insufficient PSU, even though it should be enough: 650W is recommended for 2070s, and I've got myself 650W one with Gold certificate.

What are the means to get to the bottom of this issue? Are there any diagnostic tools to use or logs to examine to find out what actually is causing this?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Do you have the full specs of your system? 650W for 2070 is absolutely enough. especially with gold certificate.

Did you overclock the card?

I would take the card out and put it back again. Make sure its connected correctly and the power supply cables are connected correctly. Also, make sure you have the latest Geforce driver.

Lets go from there.

Nov 29, 2019
Specs of my system are in the spoiler of the first message. I think I can link all of them to the exact products I've bought, if needed.

I didn't overclock the card, and the computeruniverse page was saying that it isn't overclocked. How can I check that?

I would try taking card out and report back here. I already did look at it before, but I didn't take it out. It seemed well-connected to me (a friend of mine was helping out with building). And yes, I do have the latest driver.