Jun 27, 2020
Hi, I recently got a new PC that I assembled on my own. My RTX 2070S is going at about 70-72C in gaming at while the fans appear in MSI afterburner to be used at about 60% capacity. On internet I found people get about 60-65 degrees with it. Is it ok? Should I set a custom fan control or is my airflow setup wrong? The temps of the CPU are fine, about ~35C idle and somewhat between 60-70C depending on the game and the number of hours I play.
Setup:
RTX 2070S palit jetstream
Ryzen 5 3600X
Arctic AC freezer 34 eSports DUO
16gb RAM Hyperx Predator 3200mhz
MSI tomahawk Max b450
M.2 Kingston 500GB + SSD Kinsgton 480GB + SSD Kingston 240GB (for windows)
Seasonic Focus GX 80+, gold, 650W
SilentiumPC Signum SG1V EVO TG ARGB case
Airflow setup:
In: 3 frontal 120mm fans that came with the case
Out: 1x back 120mm that came with the case
2x top cover 120mm Arctic AC BioniX P120
The cooler has both it's fans directed towards the back 120mm fan, keeping in with the direction of the frontal fans. Should I change anything? Or setup a curve fan? Is it ok at 70C?
Thank you for your time.

Solution
Nothing wrong with the fan set up. Use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve if you wish 50C=30% 70C =100% if you wish the only 2 points you need to use then mark the box to make it active on startup.

Their actually nothing wrong with your temps!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing to change, except for the 1st top mounted fan...
You know that fan is drawing some cool air out of the chassis before it gets to the cpu cooler, right?
Remove it and seal that area up.

As for the gpu, the fan curve is on you. There's no problems until 83C.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong with the fan set up. Use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve if you wish 50C=30% 70C =100% if you wish the only 2 points you need to use then mark the box to make it active on startup.

Solution
Jun 27, 2020
There's nothing to change, except for the 1st top mounted fan...
You know that fan is drawing some cool air out of the chassis before it gets to the cpu cooler, right?
Remove it and seal that area up.

As for the gpu, the fan curve is on you. There's no problems until 83C.
I removed the fan and now my glass side panel is hot, not hot so you won't be able to touch it but hot. It used to be warm per say. The fans rotate a bit lower though, keeping the same temps so you were right, thank you. Is the glass side panel something to worry about? And, why did it become hotter now?

Jun 27, 2020

I set a custom fan curve and now it stays at about 66-67C. I am happier now as 3C compared to the guys on the internet is not a great deal. Thank you for you help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I removed the fan and now my glass side panel is hot, not hot so you won't be able to touch it but hot. It used to be warm per say. The fans rotate a bit lower though, keeping the same temps so you were right, thank you. Is the glass side panel something to worry about? And, why did it become hotter now?
Nothing to worry about.
Glass is an insulator of heat. It just doesn't pass through as easily compared to if the side panel were steel.
I'd imagine the reason for the change has to do with the gpu. The axial fan cooled models dump their waste heat in all x-axis directions, after which it is moved based on the fan setup.
Some of it is going to get absorbed into the cpu cooler - that much is a given. Having 2 top exhausts likely allowed for the gpu heat to get pulled out faster, but it also resulted in less cool air getting to the cpu cooler.

Unfortunately(?), thermals alone isn't enough of a measurement for Ryzen 3000 cpus. These behave much like Nvidia's gpus do: boost clocks based on power and thermal headroom.
On light loads, they're frequently seen boosting to their advertised max boost, but few threads are active.
During heavy loads, they'll try to boost all active threads as close to the advertised max boost as they can - at least, with parameters they're comfortable with.
So any extra headroom they get will be offset by slightly higher clocks(a few extra mhz, nothing extreme. That's why some people don't see significant changes when swapping coolers or increasing airflow.

That's another key difference between Ryzen 3000(specifically) and Intel's cpus: the former actually cares about the... 'office space' it has to work in. The latter doesn't; it'll give you 100% even at 90C+ operating temps.
The Ryzen 3000 cpu will literally slow down because it feels too hot.

Jun 27, 2020
Nothing to worry about.
Glass is an insulator of heat. It just doesn't pass through as easily compared to if the side panel were steel.
I'd imagine the reason for the change has to do with the gpu. The axial fan cooled models dump their waste heat in all x-axis directions, after which it is moved based on the fan setup.
Some of it is going to get absorbed into the cpu cooler - that much is a given. Having 2 top exhausts likely allowed for the gpu heat to get pulled out faster, but it also resulted in less cool air getting to the cpu cooler.

Unfortunately(?), thermals alone isn't enough of a measurement for Ryzen 3000 cpus. These behave much like Nvidia's gpus do: boost clocks based on power and thermal headroom.
On light loads, they're frequently seen boosting to their advertised max boost, but few threads are active.
During heavy loads, they'll try to boost all active threads as close to the advertised max boost as they can - at least, with parameters they're comfortable with.
So any extra headroom they get will be offset by slightly higher clocks(a few extra mhz, nothing extreme. That's why some people don't see significant changes when swapping coolers or increasing airflow.

That's another key difference between Ryzen 3000(specifically) and Intel's cpus: the former actually cares about the... 'office space' it has to work in. The latter doesn't; it'll give you 100% even at 90C+ operating temps.
The Ryzen 3000 cpu will literally slow down because it feels too hot.
Thank you so much for the details, I feel so much comfortable about my temps in general now, and the glass panel too. Your explanation was very easy for me to understand and have a better view of the things.
Thanks for all the help, Phaaze. I wish you good luck with anything you're doing.