RTX 2080 Bottleneck / Incompatibility ?

gesseler555

Prominent
Sep 13, 2018
Hey, I'm planning on ordering a RTX 2080 Founders Edition card and was I wondering if the new card could bottleneck and/or have compatibility issues with my current hardware, which I bought about 3 years ago and this is the first major upgrade I'm planning to do. So this is my current setup:

i7-4790k
MSI GTX 970
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) DDR3 RAM
Antec VP650P power supply

So can I just swap out the 970 for the 2080 and be good to go? Will the 4th gen processor and DDR3 RAM present me some level of bottlenecking? Is the 650 watt power supply good enough or will I need to upgrade to a 750 w one?

Note that I will be playing on a 1920x1080 monitor with a 60 hz refresh rate so I'm not looking for 144 hz or 4K resolutions or anything like that...although I'm not ruling out a possible upgrade to a 1440p monitor in future. Some might say 2080 might be overkill for a 1080p 60fps experience but I want to do this as a measure of future-proofing my system, in case I find the need or money that would enable to do a complete system upgrade sometime in future with a 8th or 9th gen CPU and DDR4.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Solution
A 4790K might technically limit max frame rates a little, but should still be comparable in performance to an i5-8400, which performs about the same. About the only place you would see a performance impact from a processor upgrade in today's games would be on a high refresh rate screen, and even there the differences wouldn't likely be too noticeable. The CPU performance won't matter much when the monitor can only display 60 frames per second, and the monitor would be more of a limitation to the card than anything.

If you do go with a card of that performance level, a monitor upgrade would probably provide more benefit and likely be less expensive than a CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade to anything that would be faster. And unless you...
A 4790K might technically limit max frame rates a little, but should still be comparable in performance to an i5-8400, which performs about the same. About the only place you would see a performance impact from a processor upgrade in today's games would be on a high refresh rate screen, and even there the differences wouldn't likely be too noticeable. The CPU performance won't matter much when the monitor can only display 60 frames per second, and the monitor would be more of a limitation to the card than anything.

If you do go with a card of that performance level, a monitor upgrade would probably provide more benefit and likely be less expensive than a CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade to anything that would be faster. And unless you are going with a high refresh rate screen, or are live-streaming your gameplay, you might not benefit much from a new processor for some time still.

In any case, there are still a few days before reviews of the 2080 are out, so it's difficult to accurately judge how worthwhile the card might be compared to something like a 1080 Ti at this time.

Solution