[SOLVED] Rtx 2080 fans spinning only with MSI afterburner, not otherwise.

Nov 20, 2019
Hi. I have a prebuilt hp system (my work-desk pc) with the following specs :
i7 8700K
Rtx 2080 {Card maker unknown}
2Tb HDD
Windows 10 pro
Nvidia driver : 441.20
No overclocking.

I ran the Unigine's superposition benchmark to stress test my GPU, however I noticed that the fans didn't kick in, even though the GPU reached temperatures as high as 84 degrees. I tried the same test by setting the auto fan-control on the MSI afterburner and noticed that the fans do run when the GPU crosses 60 degrees. Even at max load the temp reached a max of 72 degrees (I tested the system for 1.5 hrs). I turned off the MSI software to run the system on native settings and ran into the same issue again. Unfortunately i can't open my system to see what the problem is, as it would void my warranty (warranty sticker on top). I hope the psu connections to the GPU are fine ! Any help would be appreciated. Do let me know if you require some more info.

Solution
Surprised nobody responded to you, I just posted about this today. I have an RTX 2080 Super in the build I just made, not sure if yours is the super, but on a forum in here it shows that the super runs a few degrees hotter than the other RTX cards. I had nearly the exact same thing as you. I was running temps of about 78 degrees consistently and the fans wouldn't go above 41% or whatever Afterburner stated when I was gaming. I made one click - Afterburners auto fan curve, and now the fans ramp up a bit more AND...72 degrees max and around 69-70 degrees consistently when gaming. If you bought a pre-built machine from a known company I'm not sure why it would have these issues but if the connections to the card were bad you'd get all...
Nov 3, 2019
Surprised nobody responded to you, I just posted about this today. I have an RTX 2080 Super in the build I just made, not sure if yours is the super, but on a forum in here it shows that the super runs a few degrees hotter than the other RTX cards. I had nearly the exact same thing as you. I was running temps of about 78 degrees consistently and the fans wouldn't go above 41% or whatever Afterburner stated when I was gaming. I made one click - Afterburners auto fan curve, and now the fans ramp up a bit more AND...72 degrees max and around 69-70 degrees consistently when gaming. If you bought a pre-built machine from a known company I'm not sure why it would have these issues but if the connections to the card were bad you'd get all kinds of errors and blue-screens and stuff. On my old Lenovo Y710 when I stress-tested my GTX 1080 I did also see temps of something like 80 degrees and the fans really didn't ramp up that much. I think that's just the way these cards are made with their software. You should check the temps without auto fans while you are gaming and not doing the stress-testing. The stress-test really ramps this thing up to it's max. The card itself will start Thermal-Throttling and has safety features built in to prevent damage from excessive heat, but I think you are ok here. To be safe, you can run MSI afterburner at startup and select the start with windows box in settings and just run Afterburners default fan curve for the card instead of the cards stock fan curve, that is what I do now. It'll keep it cooler. Any issues though, you do have a warranty.

Solution
Nov 20, 2019
Hey Wehrlebird,
Thanks for the reply. I had almost given up on the post. A few updates first : we asked the supplier to open the pc case so that we could have a look inside. Turns out I have a RTX 2080 stock card from Nvidia. Since the fan (yes ! the stock model has just one fan !) is indeed controllable using an external software (MSI afterburner), it is a software issue. For some reason the card never feels the need to push the fan speed above some 32% or whatever. I'll get in touch with the manufacturer and update on this. Take it from me, avoid a stock build, as the thermal airflow is pretty bad on my rig. As for now, i'll just run the afterburner to be on the safer/cooler side.

Thanks for the help.