Question RTX 2080 makes metallic grinding noise ?

Oct 16, 2022
Hello!

I just did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 and drivers. Before that, i cleaned the PC with compressed air.

My PC has been running without issues and the main game i play, the GPU temp would sit at 60 degrees C.

NOW. I installed all my drivers and games. I started the game and when i went into a battle, it immediately made a very weird metal grinding noise and the GPU would get very hot...The temp just kept going up and i closed the game after a few seconds when it got over 75 degrees C....

I am pretty sure it comes from the GPU. It is NOT the fans. I can control the fans and i tried to put them at 100%, they sound normal.

Whenever i run a GPU stress test, it immediately makes that strange noise. What did i do?!

What does this sound like? Here is a video of the sound. Might have to turn your volume up, i find it hard to hear with my speakers. -
View: https://vimeo.com/760728254

Thank you!

Oct 16, 2022
It sounds like either something interfering with the fan, maybe a cable or a loose screw. It could also be a broken fan bearing allowing the fan to hit the shroud. I cannot think of anything else in a pc that could make that sort of sound apart from a fan.
Thank you for your quick reply!

That was my first thought aswell! I went into MSI afterburner and turned my GPU fans all the way up, but nothing makes any sound... Therefore it is not the fans... It just sounds like something spinning/metal grinding and that does not make any sense for a GPU does it?

I thought about my SSD or HDD but it does not come from there... Anything else in my PC that could make that sound?

I'm lost...

Thank you for your quick reply!

That was my first thought aswell! I went into MSI afterburner and turned my GPU fans all the way up, but nothing makes any sound... Therefore it is not the fans... It just sounds like something spinning/metal grinding and that does not make any sense for a GPU does it?

I thought about my SSD or HDD but it does not come from there... Anything else in my PC that could make that sound?

I'm lost...
How about the psu fan? SSD’s are silent, no moving parts and it’s not the type of sound I recognise for a HDD but I guess it could be.