Question RTX 2080 Spontaneous Reboot Crashes From Certain Games...

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hi, so I'm having spontaneous reboots with certain games. So far it's happened with COD:AW and Battletech: Urban Warfare or Portal 2. Interestingly for Portal 2, it only crashed when playing Co-op. I believe I fixed that game. It seems Portal 2's in-game voice chat was causing it. I disabled it and used Discord and it seems fine now! I have the newest version of Windows 10 (was using the older version before the version that broke VPN's, same problem) and I have reason to believe it's my RTX 2080, which is my 2nd. The first one I sent back in February of this year. I don't believe it's my PSU because I have an older 1070 that I used when I was waiting for my new 2080 to get sent to me. The 1070 I have didn't have any problems running the same games my previous 2080 had problems with.

It's not heat because I've played other games like Battlefield V or Anthem, etc and it worked fine for hours. I realize Anthem is a newer game (and dead now) but you'd think, it would crash on it. In addition to all of that, I had my old system running my 1070 with an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo, 32GB of DDR3 RAM, same SSD's HDD's and Blu-ray and same PSU and OS. No problem with the 1070 in either system. I think it's a driver problem but I don't recall what driver I used a while ago to fix some of the issues.

Anyway, does anyone have ANY idea as to why this is happening? In almost every instance, when it would shut down, it would only be after a couple of minutes and actually after I updated to the newest Windows update I tested COD: Advanced Warfare, which can actually be VERY demanding if you have everything turned up like Supersampling, which I thought was causing the problem, but wasn't because I monitored temps and it was running at 1870Mhz and 72 C. The hottest I've seen it for around an hour and it didn't crash once. I also ran MSI Kombuster graphics test....never crashed. Every time it would crash, I never got a BSOD, it would always just reboot. There was nothing in the Event logs of an error because of the GPU, but the only problem it logged was this:
Event 10, EnhancedStorage-EhStorEcgDrv

A TCG Command has returned an error.
Desc: AuthenticateSession
Param1: 0x1
Param2: 0x60000001C
Param3: 0x900000006
Param4: 0x0

The ONLY relevance I found with his was a Microsoft answer that it was this guy's NIC. In this guy's case, it was never resolved. I don't believe their advice will help me because if that was the problem then why doesn't my 1070 have any problems with ANY games? Currently, I'm using the new 431.36 Nvidia driver and before that, the 430.86 driver. Same problems. I don't get it!?!

Thanks in advance!

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
So I updated my NIC, there was an update available, but Battletech: Urban Warfare still reboots. I'll have to check COD: Advanced Warfare again though. Again, I don't think it's the PSU because if it were that, it would crash and reboot anytime it was stressed, but it doesn't. I wonder if the new RTX 2000 series Super cards do this as well?