[SOLVED] RTX 2080 Super - 1 fan spinning at 200% (?) speed

Nov 16, 2020
Hey guys,

About half a year ago I bought components to make a new gaming PC. A few weeks after building it I noticed that my PC was making extreme noise on startup. At first I assumed it was my case fans which were just constantly on. Eventually I got annoyed by it and I checked what was wrong with them, when I checked I found out that it weren't my case fans which were making these loud spinning noises, it was my GPU.

I have a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super, it has 3 fans. Out of the 3 fans, there's 1 fan spinning at startup which I assume is about 200% of it's natural spinning capacity, the other 2 fans aren't spinning at all (When it's making that much noise). When I use MSI Afterburner to put my GPU fans at 100% they all start spinning, when all of the 3 fans spin at 100% the sound it makes isn't near when it starts up.

I am quite a fanatic gamer, I have a hard wooden desk, sometimes, when I get mad I hit my desk. When my PC just slightly 'shakes' the 1 fan starts spinning as well and making a <Mod Edit>load of spinning noise.

My GPU is never hot, the fan just spins for no reason at all.

Does anyone know a solution for this? Do I have a faulty GPU? I still have warranty on my GPU.

Thanks in advance,
Ton

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Did not change anything. If I change the fan speed to 50 RPM the other two fans start spinning as well. The first fan keeps spinning as hard as it can. When I put it back to 0 RPM the other 2 fans stop spinning and the first just continues spinning.
Wow this is unseen for me, seems like there might be a problem with that fan alone
Hey guys,

About half a year ago I bought components to make a new gaming PC. A few weeks after building it I noticed that my PC was making extreme noise on startup. At first I assumed it was my case fans which were just constantly on. Eventually I got annoyed by it and I checked what was wrong with them, when I checked I found out that it weren't my case fans which were making these loud spinning noises, it was my GPU.

I have a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super, it has 3 fans. Out of the 3 fans, there's 1 fan spinning at startup which I assume is about 200% of it's natural spinning capacity, the other 2 fans aren't spinning at all (When it's making that much noise). When I use MSI Afterburner to put my GPU fans at 100% they all start spinning, when all of the 3 fans spin at 100% the sound it makes isn't near when it starts up.

I am quite a fanatic gamer, I have a hard wooden desk, sometimes, when I get mad I hit my desk. When my PC just slightly 'shakes' the 1 fan starts spinning as well and making a <Mod Edit>load of spinning noise.

My GPU is never hot, the fan just spins for no reason at all.

Does anyone know a solution for this? Do I have a faulty GPU? I still have warranty on my GPU.

Thanks in advance,
Ton
Try using Aorus engine instead of afterburner