[SOLVED] RTX 2080 super crashes to black screen while gaming

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi all I have a issue with my Pc that I would assume is graphics related. for the past 2 days my Pc has been crashing to a black screen while gaming. I am currently running a duel monitor setup and both monitors connection to the Pc so that rules the monitor and cables out. I have been monitoring the temps and the GPU sits around 45 and the processor will fluctuate in between 50 and 60 degrees. I have used DDU to uninstall the graphics drivers and then I reinstalled the latest drivers. I have made sure The GPU is seated properly also made sure all cables are in firmly and not loose. The first time it crashed I rebooted my system and then it ran fine until the next crash which was yesterday. Now it is crashing to a black screen with 10 minuets of gameplay and it has crashed 3 times. I have checked windows logs through administrative tools and there is nothing about drivers stopping responding or any error messages at all. All I get is the standard error about the system not shutting down properly. Windows will also sound the hardware disconnect sound just after the black screen I have tried everything I can think of so hopefully somebody can help me before I contact the retailer. The system has working flawlessly up to now and runs the system fine when just watching Youtube. There is also no overclock on the system everything is stock speeds. The only thing I did is change from Asus normal mode to performance but when the first crash happened I set it back to normal.

My specs are
I7 6700K Processor
RTX 2080 Super Aorus water force edition
Asus Z170 pro gaming
16GB of Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz Ram
Samsung M.2 512GB Solid state
3TB Western digital blue
CPU and GPU are water cooled in the same loop with a radiator with 4x 120MM fans

Last edited:
Solution
Tha

Thank you for the advice that's how I uninstalled the drivers. I have been looking at everything in the system and I think I have found the issue. The more load I put on the GPU the more the voltage drops on my 12v rail. Currently while ideling my 12v rail is 11.808v but when I put load on the system it has dropped as low as 11.520 vaults so far. Also GPU-Z has been reporting under Perfcap reason PWR,VRel,VOP and they were all coming in at the same time. The PSU seems to really struggle to reach 12v on the 12v rail.

To be honest the 12v rail is delivering a bit lower than optimal under load. For such good PSU as yours, it should have been very close to the 12v.

Is there a chance you can try another PSU, from a friend...

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Just done some stress testing on the GPU and it crashed to a black screen again. It is lasting about 5-10 minuets then it will crash. I was watching a twitch stream when it crashed and the stream carried on playing on as I could hear the sound. My temps GPU temps were 45 degree overall temp and 58 on the the memory. Forgot to mention my PSU it is a Corsair HX1050 1000w PSU. I do not think the PSU is at fault as all the RGB lighting stays on and my HDD light flashes normally during the black screen, Unfortunately I do not have another suitable system I can test the GPU in with it being water cooled. DO you guys think I should RMA the GPU or carry on trying things. It has just crashed again Rebooted the system and then got the dreaded fans spinning at full speed turned off and on again then it started fine again. :/

Last edited:

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Tha
Try BIOS to safe mode to uninstall the GPU driver and delete all files related to the driver then reboot.

Thank you for the advice that's how I uninstalled the drivers. I have been looking at everything in the system and I think I have found the issue. The more load I put on the GPU the more the voltage drops on my 12v rail. Currently while ideling my 12v rail is 11.808v but when I put load on the system it has dropped as low as 11.520 vaults so far. Also GPU-Z has been reporting under Perfcap reason PWR,VRel,VOP and they were all coming in at the same time. The PSU seems to really struggle to reach 12v on the 12v rail.

Tha

To be honest the 12v rail is delivering a bit lower than optimal under load. For such good PSU as yours, it should have been very close to the 12v.

Is there a chance you can try another PSU, from a friend maybe? You can also try the GPU in another system with a reliable PSU.

Last edited:
Solution