[SOLVED] RTX 2080 super fans spinning very fast but software says 0% speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2019
I just bought the new Gigabyte rtx 2080 super Gaming OC edition gpu. After installing it and downloading all the drivers I was pleased with everything until I started up heaven benchmark. As soon as the gpu went under load the fans cranked up to what sounds like max speed. ( trust me its loud). After looking around in CAM and msi afterburner I realized both softwares say the gpu fans aren't spinning at all but that's just not the case. Anyone know what could be going wrong? What could be causing my gpu fans to run full blast even after the game/benchmark is closed and temps are back down to idle? I tried making a custom fan curve in msi afterburner and gigabyte's xtreme software and neither of them changed the fact that the fans were going full blast. I also used DDU to uninstall my old amd drivers from the pc before installing the new card if that makes a difference.

Reactions: axavio
Solution
I think I tracked mine down to a hardware issue ... the GPU power cable was contacting the most forward fan. I reseated the card, and applied some better cable management. The problem disappeared.

Those GPU cables have a mind of their own....

jslinger

Great
Jul 23, 2019
looks like both softwares are not detecting the fans rpm. may be because CAM and msi afterburner is not updated because rtx cards are new. have you restarted you computer after installing the drivers?

Aug 3, 2019
looks like both softwares are not detecting the fans rpm. may be because CAM and msi afterburner is not updated because rtx cards are new. have you restarted you computer after installing the drivers?
Yeah I had to leave for work so I didn't get to mess around in the bios yet but I did restart after the driver install and it was fine until I ran the benchmark but I thought since it was on extreme preset maybe it just got loud cause it needed that amount of fan speed but for about an hour after the benchmark was done it was still going full throttle and that's when I started to worry a little bit and even the gigabyte software was useless when it came to fan curves. No matter what setting I applied it didn't change the speed at all. I might just have to talk to gigabyte support.

Aug 3, 2019
Same here, but with a Gigabyte 2070 Super. Everything was fine yesterday, but today when the GPU gets even a moderate load, then the fans go nuts. HWinfo, CAM, etc. all show the fans at zero. For a usually near-silent GPU, it was a bit startling.

I don't think I updated any drivers.

Same behavior in Linux and Windows 10. Onl Windows I am using NVIDIA Studio Driver 431.70 released 29-July.

Also, behavior persists after restart.

Aug 3, 2019
Same here, but with a Gigabyte 2070 Super. Everything was fine yesterday, but today when the GPU gets even a moderate load, then the fans go nuts. HWinfo, CAM, etc. all show the fans at zero. For a usually near-silent GPU, it was a bit startling.

I don't think I updated any drivers.

Same behavior in Linux and Windows 10. Onl Windows I am using NVIDIA Studio Driver 431.70 released 29-July.

Also, behavior persists after restart.
Yeah man, I can hear the fans spinning over the noise coming through my razer headset and that's not okay xD

jslinger

Great
Jul 23, 2019
Yeah I had to leave for work so I didn't get to mess around in the bios yet but I did restart after the driver install and it was fine until I ran the benchmark but I thought since it was on extreme preset maybe it just got loud cause it needed that amount of fan speed but for about an hour after the benchmark was done it was still going full throttle and that's when I started to worry a little bit and even the gigabyte software was useless when it came to fan curves. No matter what setting I applied it didn't change the speed at all. I might just have to talk to gigabyte support.
did you try to change the percentage? like put in on 10%?
is there any software running in the background that is able to change the fan speeds when the fans are loud?
if so, it is probably because of that.
try updating all overclocking software to the latest version, and also make sure the drivers are working correctly.

Aug 3, 2019
The only things I have downloaded are CAM, msi afterburner, and gigabyte xtreme. I think I even tried putting the fan speed to 0% and it kept on spinning. I'll be home in about an hour so ill be able to tinker with it some more. From what I read online some people had this problem with the original gigabyte rtx line and nobody really had any answers as to what was going wrong.

Aug 3, 2019
I think I tracked mine down to a hardware issue ... the GPU power cable was contacting the most forward fan. I reseated the card, and applied some better cable management. The problem disappeared.

Reactions: oAnarchy
Solution
Aug 3, 2019

You talking about the 6 and 8 pin psu cables? Ill have to give mine another look when I get home. Hopefully its the same issue.

Aug 3, 2019
Yes, The 6 and 8 pin cables.
alright i figured it out. i put in a little extra bracket/stand to hold the other end of the gpu up to reduce gpu sag and it was touching the far right fan. i guess the gpu could tell something was blocking the fan so it was trying to power through idk. thanks for the help guys

Reactions: axavio
Status
Not open for further replies.