Question RTX 2080 Super - Gigabyte Aorus fan 2 stuck at 100%.

Sep 2, 2022
My RTX 2080 Super has been a well-behaved card for the last 3 years. However, since it has left warranty, it has started revving 'fan 2' up to 100% under the lightest of loads (but not immediately on start-up). It'll stay there until I turn the PC off again.

It ignores all fan speed adjustments in the various softwares (Afterburner, x1 etc). A motherboard bios update did nothing. I've tried re-pasting the GPU and replacing the thermal pads, temps reduced a bit but the fan still screams.

I'm trying my best to hold on until the 4000 series releases, but I am at my wit's end with the noise.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.

My RTX 2080 Super has been a well-behaved card for the last 3 years. However, since it has left warranty, it has started revving 'fan 2' up to 100% under the lightest of loads (but not immediately on start-up). It'll stay there until I turn the PC off again.

It ignores all fan speed adjustments in the various softwares (Afterburner, x1 etc). A motherboard bios update did nothing. I've tried re-pasting the GPU and replacing the thermal pads, temps reduced a bit but the fan still screams.

I'm trying my best to hold on until the 4000 series releases, but I am at my wit's end with the noise.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
Move the PC to another room and order a longer display cable with wireless mouse and keyboard 😁😁😁😁 the cards three years old no fan last forever yes they generally last longer but not always and some fans on certain GPUs aren't all speed controled, however this doesn't sound like the case for your card it should be able to adjust. You can also buy a new fan for the GPU it don't know if yours are replaceable or not. There's a few choices.

Have you tried rolling back the drivers to when you new the fans worked right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Check Gigabyte support webpage(bios) for your card.
The Gigabyte 20 series cards were 'plagued' with these crazy high fan speeds for seemingly no reason, which they patched with a vbios update.

Use Gpu-Z to find your bios version. It should have the letter F, and a number next to it somewhere in it.
Then check the webpage to see which vbios you can/should update to.

Sep 2, 2022
Check Gigabyte support webpage(bios) for your card.
The Gigabyte 20 series cards were 'plagued' with these crazy high fan speeds for seemingly no reason, which they patched with a vbios update.

Use Gpu-Z to find your bios version. It should have the letter F, and a number next to it somewhere in it.
Then check the webpage to see which vbios you can/should update to.

I previously had a look for my card, but I couldn't find any bios versions at all on their support page here. I looked other places, and only found the one bios, which is the one I've got. Am I out of luck here?

Sep 2, 2022
Move the PC to another room and order a longer display cable with wireless mouse and keyboard 😁😁😁😁 the cards three years old no fan last forever yes they generally last longer but not always and some fans on certain GPUs aren't all speed controled, however this doesn't sound like the case for your card it should be able to adjust. You can also buy a new fan for the GPU it don't know if yours are replaceable or not. There's a few choices.

Have you tried rolling back the drivers to when you new the fans worked right?

There are replacement fans on eBay, I might have to try. It's half a month's delivery from China.

I need to work out how to see if it is hardware or software.

Reactions: white.a.drew