Sep 3, 2019
Hi all,

I think I may need a bit of help.

I recently bought a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC card and decided that the first thing I'd do is run a quick Unigine Heaven benchmark to see how it stacked up against my old GTX 1070. I'm extremely confused by the results.
On the rig (detailed below) I'm running, I'm surprised to see numbers as strangely low as they are.

PC SPECS
MOBO: ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x - 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 2080 Super Gaming OC 8GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
SSD1: Crucial MX750
SSD2: Crucial MX500

The following is a breakdown of the Unigine benchmark (Heaven)...

FPS: 135.2
Score 3407
Min FPS: 9.4
Max FPS: 261.8

I am not the greatest when it comes to understanding whether I'm bottle-necking my components or not so I thought I'd ask you guys for some help.

Can anyone point out what may be up? (If anything!)

No idea if this even matters but, I've noticed when playing Battlefield 5 that my GPU usage stays around 60% and can sometimes drop to around 20% or even lower.

All of my power settings (Windows 10, Nvidia Control Panel etc.) are all at the top so I have no idea why it would be doing that.

EDIT: I realise I should say, I have used DDU to wipe the old drivers and completed a full reinstall of the new drivers downloaded directly from Nvidias site.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Heaven scores are right on the mark. But that is an older test and probably isn't doing much with the newer techs in there.

What does your CPU usage/temperatures look like in games? If the usage is spiking up to 100% or 100% on a core or two, then the GPU will have some idle time before it gets fed more inputs. And if the CPU is throttling, it will again give the GPU less to do. GPU temperature? I would say this shouldn't be a problem given the seemingly successful benchmark, but always a good thing to monitor.

Without knowing the settings in BF5, hard to say, Do you have RTX or DSR on? Whatever that super sampling tech is... MSAA? That doesn't sound right, the new one.

Been a while, but another fun one Battlefield 4 did to me once was default to 3D mode. Still no idea why it would do that.

Sep 3, 2019
Heaven scores are right on the mark. But that is an older test and probably isn't doing much with the newer techs in there.

What does your CPU usage/temperatures look like in games? If the usage is spiking up to 100% or 100% on a core or two, then the GPU will have some idle time before it gets fed more inputs. And if the CPU is throttling, it will again give the GPU less to do. GPU temperature? I would say this shouldn't be a problem given the seemingly successful benchmark, but always a good thing to monitor.

Without knowing the settings in BF5, hard to say, Do you have RTX or DSR on? Whatever that super sampling tech is... MSAA? That doesn't sound right, the new one.

Been a while, but another fun one Battlefield 4 did to me once was default to 3D mode. Still no idea why it would do that.

I'll start with the Temps etc.

The GPU was running at 60°c~
The CPU was running at around 47°c~ and hit sort of randomly spiked when it came to usage. It was normally around 60% but would follow the same trend as the GPU and drop around the same time (so both down to around 20% or lower)

The BF5 settings were set to Ultra (currently on 1080p 60hz monitors due to me staging my PC upgrade) using DirectX12, no RTX (or whatever it is ahahah).

Hopefully this helps a little bit!

EDIT: Vsync off!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Normally I would say investigate storage or power, but the PSU is probably fine.

Are your SSDs completely full or close to full? That drastically hurts performance when the game needs to load something.

Could be the game just needs a reinstall to get the message. See if they have a repair option.

Sep 3, 2019
The SSD it's installed on has 150GB+ free so I don't think that'll hurt it too much and sadly I've already tried a reinstall and that didn't do anything.

I just don't understand why the usage of both the GPU and CPU would drastically drop.

Sep 3, 2019
I've had a look at usage when running games etc. And nothing seems to be drawing usage away.

I know Arma 3 (running on Ultra 1080p without Vsync) isn't the best optimised game (not by a country mile) but that was only using 20-30% of the GPU.

It seems usage for some reason doesn't go as high as it should.

Or am I just looking into things too much.

Sep 3, 2019
Also, no idea if Novabench provides realistic scores etc. For GPUs but I was getting around 815

Which from their chart is WAY below even a standard GTX 1080.