[SOLVED] RTX 2080 Super Runs Hot

Remdawg

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Hey all,

I have a EVGA RTX 2080 Super. I recently upgraded from a EVGA GTX 970 SSC. This thing is LOUD. This is way louder than my 970. This makes sense since the TDP of the 2080 is a considerable amount higher. I looked at precision X1 and noticed that in almost all of my games (Overwatch, COD MW, GTA V), that my temps are always 80-84C after 15-20 minutes of gaming.

After taking my side panel off, I noticed an immediate temp reduction to 70-76C. Then I added a fan right next to my card and closed the panel again, only 5C difference.

What can I do in my case to cool this card better? My GTX 970 never went over 79C and was not nearly as loud.

Heres what my system looks like.

View: https://imgur.com/a/9DHh1Z8

I have a Corsair H100i v2 in the front of the case (stock fans). No matter what RPM I set in iCUE, it doesn't help my card cool down. Maybe its because my fans are pushing through the rad instead of pulling? Farther away from the card?

Next on the top I have two Noctua NF-P12 redux 900's. If you want more info on them, here is the link to amazon where I got them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5KZX85/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lastly, I have a stock phanteks 120mm exhuast fan.

In total I have 4 intake, 1 exhaust. I thought my airflow was good enough but I'm not sure what to do now. All my fan slots are full.

Any ideas? I'm not sure what I can do to make this card cooler? New higher RPM fans maybe?

Solution
I have a Corsair H100i v2 in the front of the case (stock fans).

Do you have your H100i fans getting the air out of the case? If not, turn them around, that will help to vent it. I would put them behind the radiator and pointing outside (there is an arrow on each) to exhaust the heat.
P.S Nice looking build!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a EVGA RTX 2080 Super. I recently upgraded from a EVGA GTX 970 SSC. This thing is LOUD. This is way louder than my 970. This makes sense since the TDP of the 2080 is a considerable amount higher. I looked at precision X1 and noticed that in almost all of my games (Overwatch, COD MW, GTA V), that my temps are always 80-84C after 15-20 minutes of gaming.

After taking my side panel off, I noticed an immediate temp reduction to 70-76C. Then I added a fan right next to my card and closed the panel again, only 5C difference.
You just proved right here that you have a case airflow problem.

What is your chassis model?

Remdawg

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Do you have your H100i fans getting the air out of the case? If not, turn them around, that will help to vent it. I would put them behind the radiator and pointing outside (there is an arrow on each) to exhaust the heat.
P.S Nice looking build!
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking that but was worrying about creating a negative pressure since it will now become 3 exhaust, 2 intake :/

Unless that doesn't really matter?