RTX 2080 ti cheap on Amazon - is it safe?

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
I have just seen an RTX 2080 on my country local amazon for about 60% of current retail price. The card is an MSI and is being sold as second hand by a 3rd party dealer. Anywhere else I would totally ignore this ad, but it is on Amazon - is this safe and legit do you think?

It says item page that Amazons returns policy will guarantee the 30 day return policy, but I really don't know whether to trust this. I can see a lot of legitimate reasons why maybe someone could be selling off cards cheaply straight away... purchased or acquired for web or youtube review. Like I said, if it wasn't on amazon I wouldn't give it the time of day, but if this is legit it is probably the one chance I have to get an RTX atm.

I generally believe the adage, if its too good to be true, this does kind of seem it.. the other thing which is a little odd maybe is this was posted on the 31st July, so has been up for a while. The seller claims to have 8 in stock when I add to basket.

What should i do?! Help!!

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well considering the RTX cards don't go onsale until the 20th from my understading, yes it is of course fake. As you said if something is too good to be true it probably is.

Not sure why people put all this faith in amazon, it's just like ebay in many regards. Anyone can sell pretty much anything on amazon marketplace.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
Cos it's amazon... like I said, any other site I would be sure is total BS. But I don't know or use Amazon at all personally and I thought everything was supposed to be guaranteed by them directly - kinda thought that was the point of Amazon. Unlike Ebay etc. This is why, I would also expect Amazon to police this kind of thing and not let fake ads for new products get on their store front. But like I said, I am not an Amazon user, have maybe bought one thing in my entire life from them worth about $5. And yes, I can see some legit reasons people may sell these cards on a short time after release, demo, review, test models, etc.
Of course I was very suspicious, is why I asked the question. Like I said, thought it was the point of Amazon.

USAFRet

Titan

Amazon absolutely does NOT police all the 3rd party sellers. (well, they do...but only a little bit)
That part of Amazon is no better than fleabay.

Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon is fine.
3rd party Amazon Marketplace is just like fleabay.

Solution

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
I just found a Gigabyte GV-N108T Black 1080ti on Amazon for a really good price. It's being sold by Amazon directly, and I saw in a Tom's Hardware article this card was being reduced a lot. So I will just get that instead. I really wanted to get the RTX raytracing, but it simply costs too much atm, guess I will have to wati a couple of years.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

If you have an Amazon Prime credit card (Synchrony), all the RTX 2080 and 2080 ti qualify for 24 months 0 interest, meaning you would pay roughly $40 a month; however, you must pay it before the 24 months are up or they will charge you for the entire 24 months worth of interest.

TheStig47

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Well said, sir!!

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
why not have a little fun? ask for original pics (taken by themselves) from the seller- to see what they send. Ask for a pic to be the card with the box / packaging they'd send it in (to avoid publicity an review pics). You might get pics of a real card, or more likely get a laugh.