[SOLVED] RTX 2080 Ti FE makes ram burning hot during gaming

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Hi!

I've upgraded my build to z390 aorus master paired with a 9900k (stock) and 32gb Corsair LPX 3200MHz ram.

I was a using a GTX1080 Ti FE until the RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition arrived.

With the 2080 Ti FE, the ram get extremely hot when gaming. I understand why this happens since the hot air from the gpu directly hits the ram. GPU temp maxes at about 78c.

With the 1080 Ti FE, the ram temp is fine since the air is exhausted.

I have 3 Noctua 120mm fans as intake (1200rpm), 1 fractal fan rear 140mm exhaust (1000rpm), and 2 fractal fans on top exhaust (1000rpm).

Case is Fractal Design Define 7.

Setting all the fans to 90% (more than that is too loud), although it reduces the gpu temp a bit, the ram modules still get very hot.

I am a bit worried, is it possible that the ram will damage/degrade?

Thank you.

Solution
How are you determining the RAM temperature?

If you're just touching the RAM modules and thinking they're hot - remember you're touching a heatsink, not the RAM chips themselves..... A heatsink is designed to dissipate heat, by getting hot. Just because the surface temperature of the heatsink has increased substantially (to the touch), does not mean the actual RAM chips themselves have increased to any substantial degree.

DDR4 (chips) have an upper-end of 'safe' at ~80'C, although problems will likely arise long before that.
If your system is perfectly stable, I've no doubt the actual chips themselves are well within spec & safe temps. You'll suffer instability long before you start to 'damage' the chips themselves.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

If you're just touching the RAM modules and thinking they're hot - remember you're touching a heatsink, not the RAM chips themselves..... A heatsink is designed to dissipate heat, by getting hot. Just because the surface temperature of the heatsink has increased substantially (to the touch), does not mean the actual RAM chips themselves have increased to any substantial degree.

DDR4 (chips) have an upper-end of 'safe' at ~80'C, although problems will likely arise long before that.
If your system is perfectly stable, I've no doubt the actual chips themselves are well within spec & safe temps. You'll suffer instability long before you start to 'damage' the chips themselves.

Reactions: puppyboynate
Solution

jdj9

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015

Thanks for your reply. Btw, the ram are XMP enabled.

I initially "tested" my ram temp by touching them, then i remembered that my mobo came with 2 Thermistor cables. I plugged the Thermistor cable on my mobo and squeezed the other end of the cable between the ram modules. The ram peaked at the temp of 52c during gaming, but i expect that this will be higher during the summer. In my country it gets really hot during the summer months, like 44-45c....

So i guess currently i am in the safe zone with this temp? From what i've read, most people recommend up to 50c, others say you can ram can operate up to 60c before start giving crashes or BSOD's.

I have an older rig in my parents house that uses 775 socket paired with a QX9650, and when i installed DDR3 1600Mhz 2x8gb (xmp enabled) at some point later it started giving BSOD's and it was due to the ram. They were getting crazy hot. I installed a cooler on top of them and BSOD's went away. However the cooler started making noise afterwards due to dust, so i sold the ram and got 1333Mhz and never got BSOD's again ever since.

Last edited: