Question rtx 2080 ti low gpu usage on 1440p

Feb 17, 2019
i bought rtx 2080 ti on a 1080p monitor i used to get 50 to 55 gpu usage and cpu usage 30 to 26 but now i upgraded to 1440p i got up to 80 and 60 gpu usage it never goes up to 90 its just some times 60 or 70 and the cpu usage is 40 sometimes
is there like a fix to it ? i play everything on ultra on all games like pubg and fortnite , i just want to get 95 gpu usage just like those youtube benchmarks
here is my pc specs

165hz asus pg278qr
rtx 2080 ti founders edition
i7 8700k overclocked to 4.3ghz
16gb ram
windows 10
motherboard msi z370 a pro
every driver is updated bios and graphic card , sorry my bad english

Rapajez

Distinguished
That doesn't sound like a problem.

It sounds like those games just don't push your card enough that it needs to run at 90%+.

Unless you think your framerates are too low. You could check the temps to make sure it's not throttling due to heat problems.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Feb 17, 2019
That doesn't sound like a problem.

It sounds like those games just don't push your card enough that it needs to run at 90%+.

Unless you think your framerates are too low. You could check the temps to make sure it's not throttling due to heat problems.
yea but others has same pc specs as me and they get 99 gpu usage on pubg and fortnite too and i am here getting 70 gpu usage or 60 when everything i set on ultra and on nvidia settings i have set to maximum power

sohankpatel

Honorable
May 31, 2014
GSync limits the framerate to prevent tearing, the GPU wont render extra frames because it doesnt need them. Disable gsync if you want to force the card to render as many frames as it can. IMO, it doesnt really matter because your display wont output more than 165FPS, so you wont even see those extra frames

Feb 17, 2019
GSync limits the framerate to prevent tearing, the GPU wont render extra frames because it doesnt need them. Disable gsync if you want to force the card to render as many frames as it can. IMO, it doesnt really matter because your display wont output more than 165FPS, so you wont even see those extra frames
yea but that doesnt answer my questions why others has the same pc spec as me but they get more gpu usage but me i get 70 to 60 and they get 99 stable gpu usage

sohankpatel

Honorable
May 31, 2014
G-sync will not limit FPS unless you also have V-sync enabled. Otherwise G-sync will simply disengage when your FPS exceeds the G-sync range.
I have a g-sync monitor and v-sync disabled in all of my games, and my FPS will never go over 143. I believe g-sync will limit fps regardless.
I just tried to do a userbenchmark, and I got abnormally low scores. The website said that it was due to my g-sync capping the benchmark fps to 143.
G-sync does (in my experience) cap the fps. My friend has observed the same behavior and we both disable vsync

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
its ridiculous choice to buy a RTX 2080ti for 1080 or even 1440p. those cards are made for 4k resolution. now im not sure what could be the problem but some games e.g CS GO have default fps limitation that needed to be removed. u can do that by writing fps_max 0 in console which sets fps to unlimited. same goes for other games check the setting and make sure they are not limited to 30 or 60 fps

Feb 17, 2019
its ridiculous choice to buy a RTX 2080ti for 1080 or even 1440p. those cards are made for 4k resolution. now im not sure what could be the problem but some games e.g CS GO have default fps limitation that needed to be removed. u can do that by writing fps_max 0 in console which sets fps to unlimited. same goes for other games check the setting and make sure they are not limited to 30 or 60 fps
but how people with rtx 2080 ti and a 1440p monitor has 97 gpu usage but me i get 70 to 80 ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
but how people with rtx 2080 ti and a 1440p monitor has 97 gpu usage but me i get 70 to 80 ?

Could be a few reasons like Nvidia 3D settings and power plans, game details, anti aliasing and resolution scaling. They could be on a different Nvidia driver too, affecting the card slightly different. Latest drivers aren't necessarily best, I usually go to Geforce forums for feed back regarding the latest drivers before installing. Not to say it is the driver but for finicky issues like this there could be a whole bunch of reasons why.

I have a g-sync monitor and v-sync disabled in all of my games, and my FPS will never go over 143. I believe g-sync will limit fps regardless.
I just tried to do a userbenchmark, and I got abnormally low scores. The website said that it was due to my g-sync capping the benchmark fps to 143.
G-sync does (in my experience) cap the fps. My friend has observed the same behavior and we both disable vsync

I have a Gsync monitor and i need Vsync on to limit frames when i need to via the in-game sync options. I leave Nvidia's Vsync on application control.

Feb 17, 2019
Could be a few reasons like Nvidia 3D settings and power plans, game details, anti aliasing and resolution scaling. They could be on a different Nvidia driver too, affecting the card slightly different. Latest drivers aren't necessarily best, I usually go to Geforce forums for feed back regarding the latest drivers before installing. Not to say it is the driver but for finicky issues like this there could be a whole bunch of reasons why.

I have a Gsync monitor and i need Vsync on to limit frames when i need to via the in-game sync options. I leave Nvidia's Vsync on application control.
you said resolution scaling is that the one in windows display option , scale and layout?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can try, all it does is increase the resolution and scales it back to your native display, it's another alternative to using anti aliasing having a crisper image. It may help push up gpu usage but at the cost of performance though albeit 2080Ti should handle it. You'll have extra resolutions in-game after selecting DSR factors.

Games with built in resolution scaling does the same thing, if the game you play has the option try increase it.

Feb 17, 2019

can you tell me which options on nvidia 3d settings to enable or change? and thank you for your time

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Power management mode: Prefer maximum
Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
Vertical sync: Use the 3D application setting
DSR - Factors: 1.20x

Everything else left default

-----

DSR 1.20x sets 1.20x of your native resolution giving you higher resolution in game to choose. DSR will only work if you select one of those additional resolutions it creates in the game.

In Fortnite, the extra resolutions should be found under 3D resolution. If you weren't aware display resolution is only for the hud, the real resolution is under 3D resolution.

Pubg has similar to DSR with it's own screen scale slider.