Nov 10, 2019
Hello!

I really hope someone can help me, I’ve spent the entire weekend testing out options to why my monitor won’t display my pc.

My issue started with having Windows 10 not loading my programs, if I would click on google chrome or photoshop, for example, it would automatically shut down my computer, so I decided to reformat and do a fresh install of Windows 10, and the same problem occurs. So what I ended up doing was going into the case and made sure that the GPU was properly seated because it tends to drop a little due to the liquid cooling and fittings beneath it and once I did that the computer shut off and I started to smell a little smoke but very faintly. When I went to boot up the pc, it would seem to boot up normally with all the LED lights on, as well as the Asus motherboard displaying the ‘Q code A0’ which should be normal from what I see, but yet won’t show any sign of video that should be displayed on to my two monitors. I am using two display port connections from my GPU to my two LG Monitors, which both use DVI connections.

I’ve tried everything.. from removing all the RAM sticks to just one, took out all the tubing for my liquid cooling loop to get to the GPU and remove that and checked the pins, everything looked normal. Even changed the PSU connection to another socket, nothing... I even did the basic step of resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and jumper on the 3 pins, nothing. I also tested out the secondary PCI-Express slot with an older PCIe Nvidia card connected to another monitor, and nothing.. I’m really stuck!

I believe the problem is in the BIOS, since I reset the CMOS, I believe that the CPU is forcing the onboard video card to project the display, unfortunately, I can’t connect to it since the only option to connect to is with a USB Type-C connector which I did test out with a digital drawing tablet display Type-C connection with no luck. I could probably switch the bios from using the onboard display to using the PCIe display. But how can I achieve this without seeing anything on the monitor? I’ve tried tapping the delete key when restarting along with the F2, and F10 key with no luck. I can tell that it boots properly on to the windows OS because all my USB components go on about 10 seconds into the boot.

Here are my specs:

Case: NZXT h700i
Mobo: Asus Strix X299-E Gaming
Ram: 4x 8gb G-Skill (32)
SSD: Samsung 970 M.2 1TB internal SSD
GPU: Asus RTX Strix 2080 TI
PSU: Corsair HX 1200i
CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X 12 core

Please if anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Pics:

hVuQ0I8.jpg

PQ1CTsZ.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
ok I may have some ideas, if you are not getting any display at all with the GPU in, your best bet is to make sure the rest of the computer works. Since you have intel you have onboard graphics so this is my best idea. Remove the GPU from your system completely (make sure not to break any parts or to spill any water anywhere.) Then try plugging the display cable into the mobo output. If you don't get picture then something likely died other than the GPU. If you do get picture then you can try these steps: 1) Go into device manager and check for intel drivers (My pc automatically installs them from time to time) if they are there uninstall them with the DDU uninstaller tool. Then put ur GPU in and give it a whirl 2) Try a different PSU...

elitemasta3000

Commendable
Oct 16, 2018
ok I may have some ideas, if you are not getting any display at all with the GPU in, your best bet is to make sure the rest of the computer works. Since you have intel you have onboard graphics so this is my best idea. Remove the GPU from your system completely (make sure not to break any parts or to spill any water anywhere.) Then try plugging the display cable into the mobo output. If you don't get picture then something likely died other than the GPU. If you do get picture then you can try these steps: 1) Go into device manager and check for intel drivers (My pc automatically installs them from time to time) if they are there uninstall them with the DDU uninstaller tool. Then put ur GPU in and give it a whirl 2) Try a different PSU. 3) SMELL THE GPU HARD! If you smell any burn or smokey scent or see a burn, you murdered your GPU. I'm not 100% sure any of these will work but these are my best guesses based on similar situations I have seen or been in. Also, I'm not legally responible for any damaged done to you or your components, attempt fix at your own risk! I'm like an attorny nor lol.

Solution
Nov 10, 2019
Thanks, elitemasta3000 for the response!

That's a great idea and there's just one problem, I don't see any way to connect to the on-board video graphics, the motherboard I have (Asus strix x299-e) doesn't have any HDMI/VGA/DVI connector. Just one USB Type-C, which I'm assuming may be able to project video?

Do you think I could I disconnect my PCIe GPU from the faulty PC and connect it to another PC that I know works? The issue here is that I have removed the fan from the GPU circuit board so I could liquid cool the card, do you think I could just test the video signal within a matter of seconds, I'm just worried that there's no way to cool the card, I don't anticipate the GPU temperature getting too hot within seconds or even a few minutes. I find it odd for the GPU to be dead since there are two white lights where the power connectors are both connected at the end of the card, this shows that the card is receiving power and should be functioning, if it was dead, nothing would light up?

When I removed the GPU the first time for inspection, I did not notice any smell or brown spots on the card nor the mobo.

I also tried to flash the BIOS with a USB drive, and it looked like it worked, now I see Q-Code A2 instead of Q-Code A0... I thought there was a slight chance it my displays would come on, but they did not.

LOL thank you for your disclaimer, I appreciate your help!

Here's a screenshot of the connection to my motherboard.

stockio.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
GREAT NEWS!!

I decided to take my PC tower and move it to my television and test out the other slot which was HDMI.. and it WORKED!!! I can see BIOS now! I'm going to attempt to get into the BIOS settings and switch the connetor back to Display Port.

So if anyone out there is experiencing issues with your GPU not displaying, try checking another input on the GPU like in my case it was HDMI. Try this as a simple first step to troubleshoot your issue.

So relieved I don't have to replace the $2K card...

~Reanu

elitemasta3000

Commendable
Oct 16, 2018
GREAT NEWS!!

I decided to take my PC tower and move it to my television and test out the other slot which was HDMI.. and it WORKED!!! I can see BIOS now! I'm going to attempt to get into the BIOS settings and switch the connetor back to Display Port.

So if anyone out there is experiencing issues with your GPU not displaying, try checking another input on the GPU like in my case it was HDMI. Try this as a simple first step to troubleshoot your issue.

So relieved I don't have to replace the $2K card...

~Reanu
CONGRATS!

Nov 10, 2019
Thanks! Now I’m actually facing a new problem lol... And I’ve spent an entire day troubleshooting it with no luck :(

The video card works when I connect it via the x2 hdmi and the 1 usb type-c port, however the x2 display ports have no signal, also confirmed that the wires are good since it's displaying correctly on another pc. Is it possible to have 2 display ports go dead on a GPU and the others completely fine, with nothing weird happening to them visually on the other inputs?

The one thing that I’ve noticed is the card makes a slight buzzing noise like a high pitched ‘bzzz’ sound when I go to Nvidia settings and into ‘Manage 3D’ and change one of the settings from ‘Optimal Power’ to ‘High Performance’ the sound completely goes away. Which leads me to believe it may be a power issue? Also, I noticed in numerous testing that the GPU is saying that the unit has 4GB Ram? Shouldn’t this be11GB? Since it’s the 2080ti 11GB vrs?

I’m about ready to bring this into Asus to diagnose. :(

Last edited:

elitemasta3000

Commendable
Oct 16, 2018
Thanks! Now I’m actually facing a new problem lol... And I’ve spent an entire day troubleshooting it with no luck :(

The video card works when I connect it via the x2 hdmi and the 1 usb type-c port, however the x2 display ports have no signal, also confirmed that the wires are good since it's displaying correctly on another pc. Is it possible to have 2 display ports go dead on a GPU and the others completely fine, with nothing weird happening to them visually on the other inputs?

The one thing that I’ve noticed is the card makes a slight buzzing noise like a high pitched ‘bzzz’ sound when I go to Nvidia settings and into ‘Manage 3D’ and change one of the settings from ‘Optimal Power’ to ‘High Performance’ the sound completely goes away. Which leads me to believe it may be a power issue? Also, I noticed in numerous testing that the GPU is saying that the unit has 4GB Ram? Shouldn’t this be11GB? Since it’s the 2080ti 11GB vrs?

I’m about ready to bring this into Asus to diagnose. :(
I think your GPU is damages, first check if your PSU is powerful enough for your GPU. If your PSU is clearly strong enough then take it in to get it replaced or repaired.

Have you tried removing the card to test in another PC? I know it's a pain, being watercooled,but worth a shot. Being the full cover block, GPU should run fine in 2D mode for a test and not get hot enough to overheat. There are still protections built-in to shutdown before damage occurs. Very odd both displayport outputs are appearing as dead. Also, your CPU and HEDT platform have no onboard GPU capability. No GPU cores inside the processor. No way to test with USB-C or otherwise.